• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Zone Portable

kilkercal615

I got one last spring from Menards, they were marked waaaayyy down, below $100.00. I brought it home started putting it together and the first one had the velcro pole attachments, sewn on the outside, instead of on the inside...back it went. The second one, after assembling, I couldn't get the front brace that lays on the ice to go down far enough....I should have brought the dang thing back, but noooooo, after looking at it for a few minutes I thought I could make one small adjustment and everything would be good to go....well, it didn't quite happen that way and since the thing was altered, I couldn't being it back.

After a time, I rationalized that I got it cheap and I could make it work....I was looking for something light weight. That was at the end of last season and I never even used it, cause it got nice out and I fished outside for the rest of the season.

This season I dug it out, looked at it, hefted it, made a sour face and decided it was to heavy anyways and gave it to another guy I know that was in need of a fish house. He was as happy as a pig in fresh doo doo! I guess I'll keep my old 4x8 suitcase, I like fishing outside better then inside anyways, when weather permits.

I bought one the last Friday of Novemebr and I figured out that if I was cursing five minutes into putting it together that it will not be a good investment. So My dad and i went and bought a frabill two man at FF for &279 only $40 more then the menards peice of [PoorWordUsage]!!! The first thing I see way wrong right away is the two peice sled!!! Also the sled iv very flimsy. Dont do it man, I believe the frabill is on sale again at FF for the $279

Killer, I had seen one for sale this fall by my house for about $100 bucks. When I first seen it looked really nice and I was going to buy it until I got in and closed the door. All the liner, kind of a plastic coating over the canvas was flaking off very badly and you could see day light through it like no tommrow. I think the liner starts to go to heck if you have your heater a little to close to it and then when the cold hits it later it starts to go. I just didn't think the quailty was there. But cost can be an issue and if it gets you on the lake, we will see you in the Zone! grin

I've got the single.....no issues at all for me.

Might be considered small for a bigger guy, but just right for me (5'7", 160lbs). Easy to heat & light to drag across the lake.

YMMV though.........

Hmm... I wished I'd have searched this thread out before. I just bought the single (strike zone I) today. No problems putting it together... nevermind the extra hardware. I've got an x2 and just wanted something smaller too, and it was cheap. Did you have any of the peeling problem Chkn?

My dad bought one of those strike zone portable fish houses from Menard's and he and used like 3 times and now the window's cracked in it and all the black stuff is flaking off. He also had the problem with the front bar going all the way down so it would sit on the ice.

All portables are on sale just about everywhere.

I would spend the extra money and get a good one if you can afford it.

I really wanted a Clam Yukon but didn't want to spend $439 even on sale so I bought an Otter Team Wild for only $300.

The pros: Nice padded bench seat that fits 3 people (not a cheap seat like the Eskimos); bigger and deeper sled than most other portables; a lot of room in front for fishing; comes with a cover (some don't)

The cons: Only one that I can think of... the fabric isn't as thick as the Clams but it's not cheaply thin either- it's good enough and doesn't blow around that much with winds.

overall, I love it!

Here is a picture.

teamwildportable.jpg

A buddy bought three of these from Menards a couple of years ago for $89 each. He has been trying all winter to sell me one of them for the price that he paid. They are still in the box and sitting in his son's barn. I told him I have no use for a huge mouse nest. I can imagine what condition they are in after two years on the floor of a barn. frown