• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance XOG for ice fishing????

Wild Thing

Question

Anyone out there own/use a Lowrance XOG mapping GPS? The unit is about $100 chepaer than the H20C and seems to do the same stuff, including accepting map chips.

Wondering if anyone has used one outside their car or truck? I'd like to use it on my snowmobile.

Sorry if this has been covered, I've never looked at this post before.

Thanks for any help.

8 answers to this question

I bought the XOG, plan to use it for ice fishing. The salesman said it can be used in cold temps.

I have used it once while out on the ice, and it seemed to work well. I am also going to mount mine on my sled.

One negative I have heard is that it has an internal battery. So if the battery dies, your done until you can recharge or hook it up to 12V power.

If you look in the snowmobile forum, and go to the post about EFI charging battery, you will see a pic from someone who is going to use theirs on a sled.

Used mine in -20 this weekend and it was great. It won't work with gloves, but that is fine with me. As far as charging you'd need either a 12 volt standard plug in, or I found that the charger for my Blackberry works if you are inside a house, or a fish house with a generator or inverter. Also, the battery life may be only 3 hours, but that is continuous use. I use mine for about 5 minutes at a time to locate a spot and then turn it off. Works just fine for me.

I have an XOG. It is a decent unit, but the H20 is a much more sound unit.

It seems as though Lowrance cobbled something together to get in on the auto navigation craze. I have always liked Lowrance equipment, but I think the XOG could have used a little more time in the design room.