• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any ideas?

BobT

2001 Ford F150, 5.4L v8, 75,000 miles

Yesterday, I drove it to town (3 miles) to attend my daughters' band/choir concerts. Afterward, I got in my truck, interior lights working, inserted the key, turned it to the "on" position, instrument panel lights up normally, turn the key to start and nothing. Totally quiet, no click, no buzz, no attempt whatsoever from the starter. Turned the key back off and tried again and the starter engages and the truck starts up normally.

This morning I go out to start it and it did the same thing except it took four attempts before the starter engaged.

In both cases, the engine starter sounded normal once it did engage. My first reaction might be a bad battery terminal connection but in my experience one would usually hear the starter solenoid kick or at least hear the click from the relay switch. But in this case I hear nothing at all.

Am I correct to expect that with this model year I would hear an audible click from the starter circuit if there was a problem with the power supply?

I've ruled out the battery itself when, in both cases, it turned the engine over just fine. This morning it was -19 and if the battery was a problem I would expect it would have had trouble turning over the engine.

Dead spot in the starter perhaps? Starter solenoid hanging up? Relay switch between the ignintion switch and starter solenoid hanging up?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

You said all lights in dash were normal when this happens correct? Does the milage on the odometer displays correctly?

A few things come to mind here, a faulty ignition switch is a possibility.

Or the Pats (security) system. With the key off, you will see a red theft light flashing in the dash, turn the key on, does the light go on for about 2 seconds then stay off (Normal)? Or does it flash with the key on, or stay on (not normal)?

If you get a chance stop and have the codes pulled from the truck.

I'd still take a look at the main battery cable and small soleniod energizing wire connections on the starter too. We see a lot more of these connections corroded this time of year with the slop and salt on the roads.

I'll second the corroded small wire. I have had several this last month. Also if the solenoid is sticky/worn out/open it will not make the audible noise. It sounds like a pain but it would be worth having a test light on that terminal to make sure there is power there when the key is in the crank position.

Easiest thing to start with is clean up the connection between the small wire and the starter and see what happens!

Look at the starter selonoid hanging up due to the cold. The grease gets stiff and will not let it move or engage the starter drive. Similar question was posed in a thread entitled Diesel in this section