• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house TV and Generator?

handsonguy

Hey all, just curious if anyone has any tips on getting a tv for an ice house. I'm looking at about a 19 inch LCD. Will I need to run a generator or will it last on a couple 12 volt deep cycle batteries? Also, what type of generators are the best/quietest/reasonably priced? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks

Depends on what you're running off of that battery, how long will the TV be on, how big it is, and how long you'll be out.

I'd say if you're going to be out for a day or two, 1 deep cycle will work for you. Those TV's use anywhere from 1.5-3 amp/hour. That means that for every hour it's running, it's drawing up to 3 amps from your battery. For ease, lets say you have a 100 amp/hour battery. Given that you shouldn't run it down below say 70-80% capacity, you have about 30 amps to give. Take the amp draw of the TV, radio, lights and anything else that you're using and divide that by 30 (amps to spare for 70% useage). That'll give you the # of hours of run time if everything's on. Just the TV, then you'll have aprox. 10 hours to run it, if it's a 3 amp draw.

Lets If it's a 140 amp/hr battery. You'll have 42 amps to spare. Make sense?

Hey all, just curious if anyone has any tips on getting a tv for an ice house. I'm looking at about a 19 inch LCD. Will I need to run a generator or will it last on a couple 12 volt deep cycle batteries? Also, what type of generators are the best/quietest/reasonably priced? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks
Check out Direct TV. They now sell a TV with built in sat.HD everything combined in the TV.

Honda Eu2000i Generator, find them on sale for around $850 best money you will ever spend, this is the no regrets generator to purchase.

I have a 19" Sanyo LCD in the house right now that we have been happy with. We are looking to upgrade to a 26" and float it between the fish house and our bedroom.

I think 19" is about perfect for a fish house. It's big enough to see well, but also small enough to carry back and forth (NEVER leave it in fish house when not there).

To save on a little battery draw, make sure the TV can run off of 12 VDC. That way you don't have to use an DC to AC converter. I picked up a cigarette lighter adaptor for mine at Radio Shack.

And like everyone has already said, Honda Eu2000i for a generator.