• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can Am Starting problem

luv2fish

So I took my 2006 Can AM outlander out ice fishing yesterday. I had no problem starting it on the lake the 3 or 4 times we moved. But with the rain and sleet it was turning into a block of ice. So I threw it on the truck and brought it home. When I got it home I noticed the starter button was frozen in. Not knowing what to do (besides getting it in the garage and thawing it out) I started it and ran it for the minute or 2 it took to get it off the truck and in the garage. The last little bit while putting it in the garage, it was starting to bog down and sputter.

Fast forward to today. I try to turn it over, and it just tries to turn over. I cannot get it started. The button is not frozen anymore. I am not the most mechanical guy in the world, what should I try?

Guy at work said 2 things might have happened. Moisture in the gas line froze and/or flooded it real bad. Over lunch I went and put some stuff in the gas to get the moisture out. Then I tried to start it without using the choke (he told me it would burn off any gas). After I had it trying to pop without any choke, I put it up to full choke and tried to start it. I got it started 2 or 3 times, but it would bog down and die within a few seconds.

I left and had to come back to work. I would guess the kill switch is fine since I got it to turn over a few times, correct?

It it started after putting adding a treatment to the gas then died again, I would zero in on that. Sounds like a frozen fuel line.

You might want to drain the tank and try some gas from a different station.

I wonder if I get it somewhere warmer if the fuel line will unfreeze and then I can run some of this gas through? I went back last night when it was colder and could only get it to turn over 2 or 3 times, but it did not run for any period of time after it turned over.

How would I go about getting the gas out?