• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New fishing...

&JAG

Sun and heat are the killers. I keep mine in a Rubbermade bin away from chemicals. I have line that I use for trolling that is easily five years old. I buy bulk at the end of the season and respool my reels often during the season. The old line losses some stretch and flexibility but seems to keep most of its strength. I use 17 pound trilene as my main trolling line, but always buy new leader material. I like 20lb flourocarbon.

I run snapp weights and in line planer boards and troll over cliffs so my main line gets abused. I switch it out if there is any doubt-but I couldn't aford to do that if I had to buy new line everytime.

For spinning rods, especially when icefishing, I like limp line and usually buy new. The light lines don't hold up as well over time.

So don't be afraid to use the old line just take care of it. If it feels good it probably is. If it has telltail cracks or a white film and is unusually stiff and brittle its probable best used for crafts. Hans