• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tips for starting snowblower when very cold

bhs91

Question

Just tried to start my snowblower this AM, ran fine yetserday, and today it would turnover, but never did start. What are some things that I can do to help make sure it starts. I store it in the garage, use premium gas, treat it with the new stabil, what else can i do. should I plug in the battery if it is really cold, just on a slow trickle, set a lamp of some sort near the engine? Any tips would be great.

Thanks,

BHS

3 answers to this question

Obviously if it can be plugged in to warm the block up would help. Not sure how many models offer this. If it doesn't have that capability and depending on if you can fit it on somewhere, you could get one of those magnetic block heaters to help keep the engine warm. Heat tape may work as well but you just have to be careful as to not wrap the heat tape over itself.

When all else fails, a quck shot of starting fluid into the air intake.

Switch to a Cold temp synthetic oil. Runs like water in almost any temp and will make turning the engine over a lot easier. Give it time to warm up before tearing into the driveway. Make sure the engine is at full throttle when shutting down.