• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing for trout.

KG243

I was looking at the regulations and I thought that there was a law stating that you could only use one line for trout on the ice. Can anyone fill me in on this law. I am getting very excited for the 15th of January to go and hit Grindstone for some lakers and rainbows!

Not sure what you ment but on designated trout lakes live minnows are not leagal for whatever reason, likely because they work too well. If the lake is not designated you can use them. When laker fishing, not on a designated trout lake I jig with one line, and put a tipup down with a live rainbow or fathead, or dead cisco or dead smelt on it for the other. Lakers, rainbows, and browns will all hit it.

It isn't because live minnows work too well that they are not allowed it is because in designated trout lakes the DNR first kills off all other competing fish so the trout can survive better. Small minnows grow up into big fish that can compete for food sources and kill off the trout. Non-designated trout lakes tend to be larger with a more diverse fish population already present.

just wondering if KG243 had a chance to fish Grindstone for lakers would like to try it, not sure how to though any hints. by the way how did you get on grindstone in the winter, fish it in the summer for smallmouth wondering if access is safe with water running by it.

I have not gone onto Grindstone in the winter yet. I was told people just drive on by the "red barn". From what I have been told is that there is usually a big heave right by the landing. I think I am goint to ask this qeustion over in the east central lakes thread.

Hey guys,

First off this is a great site glad I found it.

Here's the thing myself and about 8 other guys are going up to grindstone in JAN. I was wondering if any one could give me some pointers on where and when to find the lakers. Most of us have never had the privelage to actually catch one on the ice, I'd be great full for any ideas or pointers anyone could give me. I have a map I printed off the dnr site so if you could point out some directions that would be great.

Fished Grindstone about 10 times for lakers and only iced 2.. We talked to the DNR and they said they're in there, just got work for them... One trip we did catch a couple crappies also.. this is the good thing about this lake... a mixed bag... just be mobile and work the drops... we had 4 of us and we would work the drops and humps by covering from shallow to deep... and since you can use two lines on Grindstone we would set up a line of holes and stagger people and tip ups to cover the drops.....

Good luck and let me know how you did...

another qeustion for you experinced trout fisherman. I dont have a flasher what is the best way for me to target rainbows through the ice. how deep should I set my bait at? Should I jig or use a small hook with a crappie minow? thanks for all the pointers. I have fished Grindstgone enought that I know where the rainbows are usually, I am just curious about depth. I do have a camera so I will be using it for sure.