• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SNOW SETS

Anyone have any secrets for footholds in the snow. I have dry dirt. Is that the way to go? It just doesn't look natural with everything white. Should I put plastic above and below the trap so it don't freeze, or wax paper. The cold weather this morning really had everything locked up when I checked em. I wanna keep the line going as long as the snow is not deep yet. Got a coyote on a snare but I am limited to snare areas cause I only have so many small trail areas. Is there a way to use a snare in an open area with no where to pin point a line of path from a target animal. I have an area with round bales in some rows.

I've always used waxed paper and pine boughs in the snow- waxed paper first, pine boughs, trap, waxed paper on top, sifted snow (I use a baking sifter, but try to use as little snow as possible- you don't need to completely cover the paper, just blend it a little- even sifted snow will refreeze and pack together)

Is the wax paper on top cut to fit in between jaws or does it go over the jaws. Yes, it seems like the littler the snow the better. What type of pine bows and what is the reason for the pine bows. Do you use just the needles are actual branch. I have plenty of white and Norway pine trees available. Also some spruce if needed.

I bed all my traps in the snow. take a piece of wax paper, crumple it up, and then spread it out in the trap bed int he snow, place trap on wax paper. THen you can cover teh whole trap with wax paper and take a frying pan (with the front cut off) that is the SAME temp as the outside air(below freezing) and scoop up a thin layer of snow, and gently let it slide off the pan over the trap.

It has been my experience to NOT sift the snow, unless your going for larger critters that step down with some force. If you sift the snow, fox tend to be able to walk right on top of the crusted snow.

Another way i bed is to cover the trap with a piece of tissue, and tuck it inside the jaws, and then cover with snow the same way. Both ways work and are productive for me.

I can take some photos of how i do it on sunday if you want.

Goose, are you specifically targeting coyotes? I thought that you were- fishermann is definitely right about the sifted snow (depending on how much you use) freezing too much for smaller critters, although I've used this method for fisher and had success, too. I use Balsam Pine boughs, just the small ends of the branch (the last 4-6 inches) because of the flat needles- just enough of them to make a bed for the trap, and they keep the scent covered, too.

this is the way i bed my traps:

After you have it staked down and the chain covered in dirt, sprinkly a little anti-freeze and throw a little hay dust on top of that. Put the set trap down, put some hay under the jaws of the trap so its firm when pushed on. That way the trap is set nice and even and wont move. And wont freeze down. Next sprinkle a little more hay dust(smaller pieces) on top of the trap just so you can see it. Then you can slightly cover with dusting of snow.

got a question for you all , i dont trap but do you bait your traps? and how do you kill whatever you catch. thought about starting trapping but dont know enough about it to know if i would like it

Most bait the trap or I should say place bait near the trap in a set. Lots of good info on here if you are thinking about picking it up. Also check the National trappers assoc. for tons of great info. Lastly I carry a .22 handgun because I believe it is one of the more humane ways to dispatch the animal. There are other ways but I am sure there are plenty of "Anti's" that scroll through here so I wont go into detail. Ideally if water is nearby a drowning set works very nice also.

tanman,

View other trapping sites and forums. Predator Masters and Trapperman.com are some good ones. It will give you a good start til you start on your own and learn from your own experience. There is a lot to it all, and I still hardly know much, but have been succesful.