• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funniest Ice Story

Beege

Another story i read about once that i must share, a guy was spearing in a dark house with his dog, a black lab. a muskrat popped up and went back down. the dog dove in after it! Horrified that hes about to lose his best friend, the guy panics and is near tears. a minute goes by and the guy hears a blood-curdling scream coming from the neighbors spearhouse. he opens the door and see his neighbor with an amazed look on his face. and then he sees his dog running back to him from inside the neighbors house!! this si my favorite story ever!!

You probably had to be there but last winter I was fishing the Red with Stu and his good friend Eso. Both of them were using their Vexes. I was set up right beside them in my house so that we could all banter about without yelling. Anyway Eso marks a fish that he figures is a pretty good walleye. He's working it for a couple of minutes, up and down but no bites. Stu's fishing only about 3 - 4 feet away. Eso's mark disappears just as Stu yells,"Got it." Well Eso begins calling him every name under the sun as Stu reels in this fish. He ends up landing a 30 inch walleye that weighed close to 12 pounds. Eso never shut up for 15 minutes, just cursing Stu for stealing his fish. Like I said, you probably had to be there but we still talk about that fish every time we get together...which is pretty often.

That dog in the dark house story is absolutely amazing!!!

I was using a really old ice-earth auger that my grandpa had. The thing was so old it didn't have a clutch or a kill switch. You had to pull the spark plug wire off to turn it off. The auger spun the whole time the motor was running. Well, I drilled my 4th hole in my hard side house and when I was pulling the auger out of the last hole the auger got rapped up in a 6 foot long bench seat pad. Every time the end of the pad would go around it would hit the walls and tangle up with my line on the rods. I had all I could do to hold on to the stupid thing and couldn't let go to pull the pug wire off. After about 30 seconds I got it out of the house and threw it on the ice where it finally died. I broke 4 rods and lost 3 reels down the holes. My uncle that was fishing about 30 yards away was just about in tears laughing. He had heard the whole thing and saw me throw the auger with smoke billowing out of the house behind me.

last year, on a metro, non-designated trout lake in eagan, i was in my portable with the windows blacked out so i could see down the hole. the lake is crystal clear, so you can sight fish easily. the trout swim right under the ice and circle the lake like torpedoes. anyway, im crouched over the hole focused on my minnow when i see lots of bubbles come up the hole. didnt think a whole lot about it. just then, with my face about a foot above the hole a BIG muskrat pops its head and front legs up the hole! i almost soiled myself!! he hissed at me and i smacked it in the head with my rod tip! down he went. what a surprise!

This happened to me on a NE metro trout lake last year also. I stomped him back into the hole with my boot. Didn't seem funny then, but looking back...

last year, on a metro, non-designated trout lake in eagan, i was in my portable with the windows blacked out so i could see down the hole. the lake is crystal clear, so you can sight fish easily. the trout swim right under the ice and circle the lake like torpedoes. anyway, im crouched over the hole focused on my minnow when i see lots of bubbles come up the hole. didnt think a whole lot about it. just then, with my face about a foot above the hole a BIG muskrat pops its head and front legs up the hole! i almost soiled myself!! he hissed at me and i smacked it in the head with my rod tip! down he went. what a surprise!

laugh I can't stop laughing at this one, I'm tring to picture your face while bonking this thing on the head with a lil rod tip...HAHAHAHA GREAT STORY!

Grant,

that was the first day that shack had seen the ice and it worked great. My buddy got a deal on it. It was bigger than I thought it would be. I do like the design, and I was considering the one man.... but the three man is still so light and small I'm more likely to buy it than the smaller one.

We'll be fishing in it tonight, and I'm glad, because I think we are gonna have to hike plenty far.

Honestly, i can admit i probably had a look of sheer terror on my face! i was so dialed in looking down the hole because a really nice brown had just done the 100 mph buzz of my minnow! then muskrat...and also, ill admit, as amped as i was about the fish, i was so terrified that i was going to get another visit from mr. 'skrat that i was off the ice within 10 minutes. i would have stuck around through gunfire, but muskrats in my face? no way!

I haven't done this yet......but I can imagine how it will go!

A woman I work with moved up here from Virginia (the Commonwealth down south not the city up north) last year. Her husband has a nice thick southern draaaaawl and has never been ice fishing before so I promised that I would take him. Which I plan to do when I am on vacation between Xmas and New Year. When we get to the parking lot/access, I plan to get out of the truck and hand him a pair of ice cleats...tell him to put them on and explain it'so he doesn't slip and fall on the ice. Then I'm gonna pull an orange life vest out and hand it to him and tell him to put it on and then roll down the window before we drive out and explain it's so that in case we go through it's so the water pressure will equalize inside the truck quickly and he will be able to open the door and get out.

I can't wait to see the look on his face! I just hope I can keep a straight look on mine.

I used to fish a fold-up portable with a bottom - Shoremaster made one that was really good heavy canvas, but the bottom was very smooth plastic. One day I decide to go out to Pike Lake in Maple Grove. The lake is very close to my house, very easy to walk onto. It's early in the season, good ice, but no snow.

I get my holes drilled, get the house up, fire up the heat. Turn on the vex, drop a bobber down one hole, a jig down the other. Wind's blowing pretty good out there, good thing I have the portable, right?

Next thing I know I'm sailing across the ice. The first thing that comes into my head is: turn off the heater! Once I got that done I run to the door and zip it open. I'm probably going a good 15 - 20 miles per hour. Not much to do but find a way to make it stop before I hit the shore on the other side, so I put on my gloves, kneel on the floor, and drag my hands on the ice. Believe it or not, that eventually stopped the house.

I didn't lose the transducer or either of my rods, thankfully. But I had enough fun for one day, I packed it up and went home. I've since gotten rid of that portable.

About the house flying down the lake, I saw a similar thing happen several years ago on Chisago. Those of you that know the lake, this may make some sense. The house was in the South bay about 200 yrds from shore. A guy got out to check his tip-up, and his buddy was in the shack. Before long, the wind picked up, and the house, along with the guy, went flying down the lake until it finally stopped at the Eagles nest! The guy left outside was running with all his might to catch up to the house, but that baby was cooking, maybe 15-20 mph! My buddies and I couldn't help but laugh!

Of course, I'm sure the guy in the house wasn't doin' much of anything, other than wishing he had a new pair of britches grin

Ok, I think I have the best story...

A friend and I are fishing one night in my permanent shack, fishing in about 12 FOW. About 20 yards away a buddy sets up, also in about 12 FOW. He likes to drink- alot- like beer from sun up to sun down.

So, as we fish that night we finish a liter bottle of captain morgan. We go to bed. About sun up, my buddies buzzer go off saying he has a bite. So my buddy hops up and sets the hook- only to be bitten off by a northern. A few seconds later, my buzzer goes off and I hop up and set the hook. Get the fish to the hole and find a northern with 3!! hooks in its mouth. We determine one is mine, one is my buddies and one must be the guy's from other shack. So we let the fish go and start pulling line from the other guy's reel. We can feel his rod holder sliding across the floor of his ice shack. Finally, he wakes up and starts fighting us. We are laughing hysterically at this point. I decide to walk to his shack and see how he is doing. When I open his door, his eyes are as wide as paper plates and his rod is bent in half. I ask him what he is doing and he says he has a huge northern or loch ness or something!! He is absolutely shaking and going crazy!!! It is all I can do to not laugh in his face. I tell him I am going to get my gaff and I will be back soon. When I get back to my shack we decide to tie the empty bottle of captain morgan to his line and let go. So,we let go and an image I will remember the rest of my life- the bottle of captain morgan skipping across the bottom of the lake towards his hole. As we look out the window, he comes out of the shack holding that bottle of morgan and screaming at us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To this day- which is some 10 years later- whenever we see this guy, he always asks us if we have a bottle of morgan!!!!!!