• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choke Choice for Pheasants

I am going this weekend to a game farm for pheasants and am wondering what choke I should use. We will be hunting over 2 dogs. 1 pointer and 1 lab. I will be using a 12 ga with 3 inch mag. Would modified or improved cylinder be better. Thanks for the input.

Agreed. At a game farm, they will flush closer than wild birds. I usually use IC.

You might want to check if they require nontoxic shot if you have never been there before.

Good Luck!

CJH

As everyone has said, the birds at game farms tend to get up at your feet. However, I still prefer a Modified choke for the instances where you or your buddy misses and you need a little extra range. You can always give the bird and yourself a little more time to set up for the first shot, and then having the Modified choke, will give you a better chance at a second or third.

Modified with Steel shot is gonna shoot like a full choke.

I/C All The Way!

Unless you want to clean them at the same time.

I used 20ga 2 3/4" 5 lead with Modified last week on late season ND roosters. Didn't loose a bird, most were dead on impact with shot in the head, heart, etc. Lot's of 40 yard shots, really spooky birds.

I was going to say that it depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting lead, go with modified.

If you are shooting steel/non toxic, go with I/C; and you will want to use a larger shot size, as well.

All mod all the time. I even have double mod chokes in my O/U. Maybe I'm a bit slow but when I patterened my gun the IC was just way to open and had no range at all. I would rather wai ine second and let them get out bit rather than use the IC choke that came with my Benelli, nice for grouse but not for the willy rooster. Having said that I never shoot steel so not sure what I would do if I had to use that stuff