• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie minnows or fatheads

BK19

I start with larger minnows first, shiners fatheads chubs, etc. I'll only use whole crappie minnows for walleyes if the fish aren't hitting the bigger minnows first.

For tipping jigging spoons, I use crappie minnows or their heads if it's a small spoon with a small hook, or if the bigger minnows don't seem to be working good enough.

Do any of you fisherman out there do any chumming. With your you dead minnows or even some live ones. I just smash them up real good and drop them down the hole. dont know that it realy works or not. I think sometimes its just the slow falling pieces of minnow that get the fishs attention. It seems to sometimes do the trick on perch. I also seem to do better the nxt day if I go back that same spot. They seem to be a bit more aggressive.

Do any of you fisherman out there do any chumming. With your you dead minnows or even some live ones. I just smash them up real good and drop them down the hole. dont know that it realy works or not. I think sometimes its just the slow falling pieces of minnow that get the fishs attention. It seems to sometimes do the trick on perch. I also seem to do better the nxt day if I go back that same spot. They seem to be a bit more aggressive.

"Chumming" is considered illegal here in the lovely state of Minnesota. I like fatheads on a jigging spoon....usually just the head.

Shiner Lakes like Leech, Ottertail, Winnie,use Shiners. Some lakes you can't get a bite on a shiner, only Fatties or small Suckers or Rainbows. Rainbows are really tough and stay active on the hook way longer than Shiners at less cost per Doz. too.

Another way to get more scent dispersed is to smash your minnow body, leaving the head intact so you have something solid to hook into. Experiment with this, it can help.

I prefer "large" crappie minnows or small fatheads on my dead stick. I will usually tip my jigging rod with a minnow head or wax worms if the fish get real finiky. If I can find small red tail chubs or rainbows I will usually pick up a half dozen or so, I like them on tip-ups or rattle reels.

The only time I will use shinners is on Lake of the Woods, emrold shinners. I will not buy shinners to fish anywhere else because all they do is die in the bucket, for me anyway. I usually use fats.

I sometimes chumb but then you have to wonder if all those marks on your vex, not hitting your jig, are eating the chumb.