• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Elk Hunt

My buddy and i are thinkging about trying a public land hunt, we were thinkging about an OTC tag doesnt matter if its Cow or Bull, just trying something different. What are some areas with good public land opportunites and where we could at least see some elk. Were not trophy hunters just looking to hunt something different. Being in minnesota any help would be great. Thanks

You have a lot of options for public OTC archery elk in CO - hit their HSOforum and you can first narrow units down to those with OTC tags. From there they have maps of each unit that show land ownership. For starts check into units within the White River and Routt Nat forests.

I'm starting the planning process for a DIY archery elk hunt this year in Colorado and was wondering if anybody has any success in recent years and could help me out with units that are better than others for numbers of elk, bull numbers, and such. Any help would be appreciated.

I have always hunted 1st rifle due to dads age and not being able to hunt them with a bow. He's in his 70's so rifles our best choice. I have friends that hunt archery though and they do well. From the looks of the rub's, and wallows in the area I hunt (71) there it must be a great archery hunting. I have hunted unit 71 since 98 and seen some nice bulls in there, 2 that I could have had 1 I wasn't ready for the 2nd never gave me a good shot. If I was going on a public hunt with a bow thats the unit I would take.

Scoot, just saw this. I archery hunted the first year I lived there, but realized I wouldn't be able to rifle hunt them also (which I really enjoyed due to the camp atmosphere). Year 2 I decided to bow hunt muleys and rifle hunt elk. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in 36, but I have had a chance for the last 7 years to fill my tag. The only problem is the fact that it is fairly accessible and sees a lot of pressure during the first 2 seasons of rifle (hence why we hunt 3rd). Shoot me an email if you want some more info.

I've got an additional question for you guys if you can help me out. We are planning an Archery hunt in the 2010 season so I will be applying for a preference point this year. My question is, do I still need to get the wildlife stamp too? I assume not, since I won't actually be hunting this year, just wondering what others knew. Also when you apply for the point it costs around $250 but you get that back, any idea how long it takes for that money to be given back since I'm not actually getting a license?

I may be wrong about this as I have not read through the Colorado law completely yet, but you want to be careful with how you attain your preference points. As I remember it if you apply and get drawn you loose your preference point, If you decline to purchase the lisc. you were drawn for you can retain your preferrence point by forfeiting the moneys that you sent, $250 or $549 depending on which lisc you were going for. So you are out that money but still have your preference point. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

They area my friends and I have applied for in the past drew us every year we applied so if things haven't changed we will probably get an archery tag this year as well?

You only need the wildlife stamp if you are hunting or fishing this year. You will get your money back minus the application fee ( $3.00). If this is your 1st preference point they may charge another $25.00 if you don't meet certain requirements. It seems like you get your money back the end of June or 1st of July.

Any other questions give me a holler.

Jim