• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do I need backing?

Tom7227

I just bought a Cetus Tica SB500 and some Fireline Crystal 2 lb. Should I put some backing on the spool before I put in the Fireline? The package says that the spool can hold 95 yards of 4 lb and the Crystal 2 lb only has 50 yards on the spool.

Yes. Back it with mono. Then you don't use as much and it won't slip.

My guess is that 50 yards of Crystal doesn't take up much room. Can you give me an idea how much backing I should put on? I'm trying to minimize the amount of coiling on the line that I want to use.

The spool on the Tica is rather small, I'd say crank by handle like 25 times of backing. That should give you just enough line so that you can bury your knot used for line joining if you want to.

Since it is not an open water reel, it's not necessary to try to fill the spool up to the lip. Crystal isn't going to have any kind of coil memory. It may twist, but it's going to be a while before that affects things.

Quote:
Can you give me an idea how much backing I should put on?

Why not use tape as was suggested? It is much simpler than tying mono to the spool and then tying a blood knot between the mono and Fireline. KISS!

The place for the line on the spool is less than a half inch wide. Sort of a PIA to split tape but maybe I'll try after the sun comes up. Thanks for the hint.

Until somebody makes shallow long spools so I can properly fill with about 50 yards of line without having to pay for a $500 reel, then I will continue to back up my spools with cheaper mono.

Once you figure out your backing on the spool, it's pretty much set for life.