• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River Eyes

Hello all. I know there is still plenty of ice left, but some of the best river fishing is right around the corner. In previous years some of the best fishing ocurred before other boats were on the water. Last year I was on the Fox River at this. With a little warmer weather action can pick up quick. Although you hate to see snow, it'd be nice to get some precipitation to pick up the river levels. Have you been getting your boat ready? Mine is ready and waiting. I'll be hitting the Mississippi towards the end of the week. Looking forward to some time on the Fox, Wolf, and Wisconsin in the upcoming months as well.......

YUP ! All I need to do is charge the battery and I'm good to go ... I hope ! LOL
I was on the Wisconsin River this time last year and did quite well. Worst day was like 8 other boats or somthing like that. Try and find that in a couple months ! LOL

I've never fished the Miss in spring before. Where do you go ? Would a 14 foot Jon boat cut it out there ?

The stretch of the Mississippi from pool 4 on down sees quite a bit of action in the spring. There are john boats out there all the time. As the weather gets warmer, the traffic picks up, and it can get pretty crowded. Pool 4 is by Redwing, MN, which is southwest of Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls WI. I have never been on the Wisconsin down your way. I've been on it mostly north of Stevens Point. Do you get out on the Rock?

As I recall I was out last year about this time on the Wisconsin myself. Nothing like early season walleye fishing.. Doesn't look like we will be getting in much earlier than mid march. And may be limited if we don't get some moisture soon. The water ways in Southern WI are hurting including the Mississippi.

I was actually wanting to try old Mis down around Genoa area. Anyone got any info on that stretch of water? Is it open to boats yet? Anything hitting?

------------------
Good luck,

Bob

Adam , You could say I fish the Rock a lot. From the time I leave my driveway to the time I launch my boat on the Rock takes about 15 minutes if that. LOL
I avoid the comunity holes like Blackhawk Island in spring like the plague on the Rock. There are other spots that are good that don't get the pressure. I LOVE fall fishing there as there are'nt too many dudes out then.
I used to fish the Wisconsin river below Petenwel a lot before the hoards started showing up a few years back. I've fished below the Dells some. In both instances it's combat fishing at it's best = NO THANKS !
I'll hit Prarrie Du Sac here soon. Did real good there this time last year there.Still a fair amount of ice there I hear. Won't be for long though.
I've never fished Nakoosa or Castle Rock dams = too many dudes.

Have always wanted to try the Miss but I'm not into playing bumper boats. LOL

Adam/Anyone , You can see some pics of Rock River/Koshkonong and Wisconsin River fish on my homepage if your intersted.

[This message has been edited by GEEMAN (edited 02-27-2003).]

Bumper boats can get a little frustrating after a while. Its nice to be on the water by yourself, but when the weather is nice many places will get congested.........I'd rather be caught in traffic on the river than on the road.

To all that are interested...GENOA is OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went by there today and the water is open from the Dam to past the boat launch. Not a single chunk of ice anywhere. Also Lynxville is also wide open. A handful of boats out today. Wil be getting the boat out this week. Don't get me wrong, ice fishing is a blast but the EYES are calling my name, and yours too. The time has finally come.

Darn I knew I should have prepped the boat this weekend......

Oh well looks like a night or two in the garage will remedy that in a hurry grin.gif

How are the water levels on that stretch of the river. I know everyone is saying the Wisconsin is VERY LOW both about and below the Sauk Dam.

------------------
Good luck,

Bob

I know the Wisconsin at Prarrie Du Sac is way low right now. Unless you know where your going it would be best to follow somone who does. It's pretty common to see boats hit the rocks on either side of the channel on the left heading up to the dam. Had a friend punch a couple holes in his boat last spring because he was'nt paying attention.

The Rock is the lowest I've ever seen it. Has been since last Fall. It will be interesting to see what happens if we don't get a lot of rain this spring. Going to be lots of dinged props or worse I think if we don't get some water into this system.

In Sauk if you don't have a smaller boat you probably are not going to get up by the dam.

Up near the Dells One person reported that they could not get their 19 ft boat in at Rivers edge and anything larger than a jon boat is going to have a tough time launching..

And it does not look like there is much for snow cover to give us any increase in water levels either.

The water levels are low at Genoa but the big Lund's have no problem getting out there. The good thing about the lower levels are you can see the wingdams without hitting them first ( been there). I picked up a used boat, new trolling motor, and a used 23 hp Evinrude this week. All I need now is registration and a battery. Weather is supposed to get near 38 by Thursday, so I will be out trying my luck. Cant't hardly sleep thinking about it and I am still in the early learning stage on catching river eyes. i am used to the big reservoirs in Wyoming, trolling. So far on the river I have landed 4 walleye and every rock and snag on the bottom.

BD , If you go downstream ( past the cable ) from the Dells/Rivers Edge there's some good Smallie action not too many know about. You'll need a smaller Jon or a tunnel boat to get down there though.
You would'nt have much trouble fishing the lower Rock ( below Ft.Atkinson ) but in town up to Jefferson can get pretty hairy for bigger boats with the water level the way it is right now.

Frozen Toes , LOL I hear ya on the jig swallowing rocks. That's why I got into making my own jigs. A LOT cheaper in the long run going that route.
Are there a lot of dudes out up to Genoa ?

I was out at Genoa yesterday. Quite a few boats. Also alot of problems. My fuel pump was bad on my motor. Luckily it had a warranty. Another guy had a water pump go bad. Another guy had his axles on the boat trailer freeze up. But the walleye's were biting hot and heavy. Lynxville Dam was iced up again. Hopefully on Tuesday I will get back out there when it warms up a bit.

Could somebody remind me why I wanted a boat? Been "to" the water 4 times. Wet the lines 1 time for about 10 minutes. After getting it repaired, again, took it to the water on Tuesday. Well, you guessed it, more bad luck. Motor ran a little better. Still cutting out under a load. The wind was blowing again and the trolloing motor was worthless. Then the battery died. This is where it gets good. Here is where it gets real good. While the swervice person was fixing the motor last Sat. he broke the recoil. Then he said he replaced it. I am thinking well better here then on the water. Do you get where I am heading? Dead battery, no problem, just pull start it. Nope, huh uh, forget it. My buddy grabs the rope and gives her a pull. #$% over elbows he goes. Recoil is as broke as they come. So now I am literally up a creek with no paddle. The wind was blowing us into the ice, then the ice was coming from behind locking us in. After a few choice words we decide who is going to walk to shore (hehehe)I figure it was my boat and gear, I should stay with it. Not really. But luckily one of the guys who works in the fishing dept at C%A#B*E*L*A's came to the rescue and pulled us back to the landing. So, why did I want a boat to catch the mighty Walleye?

Ahhhh, toes, what a gut buster of a story that was. grin.gif

Been there, done that. Shore fishin looks SO good after you finally get back on dry land after one of those adventures.

But hey, you could have been fishing the Niagara River upstream of the falls when all that shnit happened. Then we'd be reading about you in the papers. grin.gif

I would be PEAVED too if I were you ! Is that a new rig or used ? I think I'd be looking for a new mechanic if I were you dude ! Good luck with your boat/motor.

Well I am off today to try it again. If you see a missile flying through the air around noon, don't worry, it will just be me going off. I took the motor back yesterday and did not leace till I watched it perform. It was a used set-up, but the motor was bought from a dealer. It has a 30 day warranty so I had to take it back to their shop. I still have 20 days left, LOL. Well wish me luck!

Well I finally got on the water!!!!! Motor runs great now. But, one small problem. I had myself and two other people in the boat. The front guy says hey " Did you ever find where the water leak was?" I said " No". He says "Well I found it for you." I look up between his feet and notice the geyser shooting straight up. There is a crack right in the middle of the center seam on the bottom of the hull. Well at least I know where it is now. Time for a little JB Weld tommorrow. We were down at Genoa again. Fish were definitely biting. While I managed one small sauger, I watched fish after fish come out of the water in other boats. Even though I did not catch alot, I was just happy to be on the water fishing finally. A few minor repairs and modifications and Sat. I will be at it again.

Frozen Toes.

Sorry to hear your plight. It's like my Dad said when I bought my first boat..
"This is one of the two happiest days of your life. When you buy your boat..and when you sell the D@!N thing!!"

Good luck

------------------
Crappie it's not just a fish it's a attitude!

IBOT #23

For those WI river/Lake WI nuts, the main channel of the river is open through Lake WI. Bays are still ice covered but breaking up along the shore lines. Okee bridge has open water, and the boat ramps north of the grade are open. Should be ready to go this weekend for sure.

------------------
Good luck,

Bob

The Rock River finaly opened up last week. Went out Tues but only managaed one Buffalo. Turned him into smokey treats in the smoker yesterday. Mmmmmm
A few dink fish being caught but a keeper here and there are showing up. Water is way low so you need to be careful on certain stretches of the river.

Was out on WI River north of Lake WI Sunday. Bays still iced over but with the weather this week the entire lake should be open.

Fishing was tough. Few very light bites but nothing in the boat. Some reported good catches but you had to find the spot within the spot. Then figure out what they would hit on.

Geeman do you make it over to the Fox much? A friend said there is some good Walleye fishing and wants to give it a try.

------------------
Good luck,

Bob