• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying Squirrel - Finally got 'im!

It's just about 9:00 in the evening, and I checked my deck and there was a flying squirrel in the feeder for the second time in the last couple of weeks. I think I've only seen one other in the 30+ years I've lived up here between Babbitt and Ely. Steve, have you seen any up here? How 'bout jonny and jayinmn in the Hibbing area? We'd have one occasionally when I was growing up north of Nashwauk, and I know they're nocturnal, but how prevalent are they in the northland? No pix yet, but I almost got to the window with my camera tonight - maybe before too long!

We see quite a few at the cabin in NW Wisconsin. Pretty cool critters, until they get in your attic!

I once had one land 2 feet from my head while in a treestand. Good luck getting shots of them, they are very skittish.

Ken, I've seen one this far north, but not in my yard. They prefer fairly mature forest. We see them all the time at night at our lake place north of Bemidji.

The northern flying squirrel occurs all around the northern Great Lakes, including the whole MN Arrowhead and the Canadian areas around the lakes.

I have seen them around this area quite a bit. We had a female nest in one of our nest boxes and raise 5 babies a few summer ago. I also get pictures of them on my trail cameras behind my house when I am baiting bear back there. I think I deleted all of them though, I did a quick scan through them. Flying squirrels are more gregarious then other squirrels so don't be surprised if you have a family show up on your feeders. We used to have 3-4 at a time eating at our feeder at the cabin near Big Fork.

They are a lot of fun to watch. The feeder at the cabin is right in front of all the windows that face the lake, and there's a double-gang of floodlights washing the area, so when the squirrels or raccoons are in at night, we'll flip on the lights and watch them. They don't seem to mind at all.

Flying Squirrels are very common up here! They are (as is common knowledge) extremely Nocturnal. The first time I ever personnally encountered one of these wonderful little creatures was during a late fall bush camp up on the Winnipeg River. The squirell literally appeared out of nowhere. It simply flew (glided) into our campsite, landing on a near by birch tree only serveral fet from our presence. It happened in the middle of the afternoon, which was amazing to see at that time! One of the guys managed to get some really great images of the squirell, however this was before the digital era!

We found a baby one in the yard when I lived in IL. Took it in the house and fed it and brought it back to health. One of the coolest pets we ever had! Someone left the toilet seat up one night and then we did not have a flying squirrel pet any more :-( Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo