• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gamma Line Color

Craigums

Really this question applys to any brand fishing line. I was looking at some 4lb Gamma ESP ice for my panfishing rod and noticed you can order in clear or blue. What would be the pros and cons of each color? Does it really matter which you use? is the blue more or less visible to the fish?

Lately, I've been staying away from the clear lines cause I find them too hard to see out on the ice. Have not seen the Gamma blue, but if it like Trilene's blue line, then that would be the way to go for me IMO.

I've used trilene's blue ice line and haven't noticed it hindering my catching success. Even if a colored was a concern, I could always tie on a floro leader.

Also used Cajun Red - again, much easier to see on the ice for me, didn't notice the fish having an problem biting on it.

Go colored, and tie on a clear leader if you feel necessary. I do this with my swivel rigs (for swim lures), tie main line (colored/braid/fireline) to swivel, then use a clear florocarbon leader & usually around 18+" long.

Personally, I like the colored line, not so much to line watch (cause I depend on feel or the spring bobber for bite detection) - I like it more for ease of tieing knotts out on the ice, can be tough to see clear line in poor light conditions with the snow/ice as background.

Also, with some of really light jigs, you have to feed line out by hand to get it down to depth more quickly (jig not enought weight to draw out line on its owne). When feeding the line it is VERY helpful to have line you can see so you can tell if it is going down the hole or just bunching up on top of the hole or around it.

You can use a clear leader to help with stealth at the jure.

If a higher vis line is not a concern to you ,stay with the clear. Gamma ESP Polar Ice is very low vis and good as is, no need for a Fluorocarbon leader.

If you line watch, or need a more user viewable friendly line color to manage your line, than blue is very handy.

The blue is easier for you to see, and thus probably easier for the fish to see..

Generally agree. Blue is on the high end of the color spectrum and is affected very little by water. The visible color spectrum of fish still needs to be determined by science.

I would leave the blue line on the store shelf based on the science we know today.