• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spray foaming fish house floor?

pike doctor

Has anyone out there ever sprayfoamed their fish house floor? I was thinking of building a perm and I want to keep it as light as possible and I would like to insulate the floor.

I was thinking of putting the floor on the trailer, and then having a guy come in and sprayfoam the bottom of the trailer.

Would I have to worry about the foam ripping out of the bottom of the trailer?? I know the stuff is tough, but I would like to hear some opinions.

Also, what kind of plywood would you use for the floor? Marine Grade? I was thinking something that is 1/2 inch.

And how would you attatch the plywood to the frame? self tapping screws? I know I want to bolt the walls all the way through the trailer once they are built.

Thanks for the help.

Here's what I did.

sandwich floor

1st layer = 3/4" plywood covering entire trailer frame

2nd layer = flat 2x4's around perimeter around outside and across some major structure areas where you want to put a wall or screw something into. Put pink foam board styrofoam in between the empty spaces of the boards. 3

3rd layer = 1/2" (or thicker )layer of plywood.

I pre-drilled through the first layer of plywood and used deck screws to attach it. There may be better options for screws.

It's heavy, but warm.

I would think the foam would begin to stick to the ice and deteriorate.

I used long galvanized bolts to run from under the frame up through the sandwich layers and into my bottom wall sill plate, then into an angled piece of steel that sat vertically against a stud on the side wall. And then bolted that together.

My house (Soderblooms) has a spray foam floor and it is incredible. With proper air flow, The floor is usually dry enoug to walk on in socks after about 30 minutes. For weight considerations, durability, and warmth I would never even consider going another way with insulation.

a friend of mine sprayed his whole house with iso foam. cost $300.00 dolars. best money ever spent. i believe he used 1/2" on floor. be sure its marine grade, not pressue treated.1 1/2' wall studs, 2x4 roof perlins. i would use 3/4" floor, the extra wieght is good insurance.be sure you the proper screws for treated wood. i like the triple coated deck screws.

i had my floor spray foamed. 8x18 house cost 270 for the floor. I used 5/8 inch green treeted. I think 3/8ths would be plenty as the sspray foam adds a lot of strength. Also check out the fm ultimate house a few pages back. I think there are pictures of a spray foamed floor

My shack (Dakota Litehouse) has about 8" of foam under the floor. Used hole sleeves and a thin sheet of aluminum the seals off the bottom of the house. Not only does the foam insulate the floor it adds floatation to the shack. They claim it will support 2,800 lbs in open water. Not sure if I really want to test it out.

we built a 6'6"x18' last year and had the whole thing sprayfoamed and I think its the only way to go. never got cold even in the coldest days and it is lightweight and it really makes a differecne on the floor. you can walk around barefoot if you want to and your feet dont get cold. it costs a bit more but its worth every penny that you stick into it. it aslo stays a lot cooler in the summer time for camping.

what i did was under the floor had it spray foamed (there are different grades of foam i used a real firm style) and left a gap from the foam to the bottom of the trailer so it doesn't touch the ice. and use a urathene coating to seal the foam, to protect from travel down the road. Might have to recoat every other year.

You guys that have done it do you just put the plywood on the floor and then spray the underneath? I am thinking of having the trailer built out of 2*3 steel tubing, spraying it, and just leaving it. So I would have roughly 2 inches of foam on the bottom, which I know will be plenty.

Would I need to put something between the foam and the ice?

How are you attaching the plywood? would self tapping screws work?

Pike Dr. I am just getting to the spray foam issues, so I am not much help there. As to the floor---I asked the same question a few pages back. I ended up going to a well known screw and bolt place here in the metro (don't know if I can say the name, ---think Fast...)and bought 2" TEK self tapping screws, and pre-drilled the holes. I now see that a chain lumber yard sells the same screw for about the same price. I also used a big bead of PL 400 before attaching the floor.

Hope this helps,

dukhntr