• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable lights

flakeportable

Hi Flakeportable, welcome to the best outdoors site on the web.

There are a variety of lights out there. Lots of guys string some LED's on the poles of their portys. Next time you're in Wal-mart or another store, check out the automotive section. There are quite a few 12vDC lights there.

Myself, I have to sets of LED's strung along the poles I power through a switch, to a Marcum battery. I also have 2-55 watt halogen lights mounted to my top pole I power the same way. These lights are super bright and I only use them when I'm looking for something, tying a knot, unhooking a fish, etc.

I have an Otter Den, which is a small one man portable. I use an LED Lantern and it works incredibly well.

I put it on a caribeaner, and hang it from the top bar. It lights up the whole shack without a problem.

I got the River Rock lantern from Target, and love it for the size, and the run time on 4 AA batteries.

It also works good for camping and in the emergency weather kit too. Great little investment for $20.

Why not just use the good old coleman that is what I use in my portable. It not only gives off plenty of light but also helps heat the house. And if you are using tipups at night you can just take it out with you to check your line or get your fish. Also don't have to worry about draining your vex battery to see or lug an extra battery around and just add more weight to your setup.

The reason most of us are sick of using the old colman, is always having to have propane and mantles, and the problems that come with running out of either. Gets spendy when you fish almost everyday. I am rigging the perm with electric light as soon as we get it out, probably going to use some brand of rope LED.

A word of caution if you want to use a propane lantern in your shack....GET A CO DETECTOR.

I used the same two mantle propane lantern for years in my portable. Thought it was great for light and heat. To make a long story short...one night last year I got CO poisoning because of the lantern. I was lucky in that I realized what was happening and got out. I was dizzy and sick to my stomach...ended up vomiting all over the ice once I got out of the portable.

I know it was the lantern because next day I set up the portable in my garage with a CO detector, which had LED readout. The detector pegged out at 999 ppm in less than 5 minutes with the lantern going.

So be careful. A battery operated CO detector is cheap. I bought one and use it all the time. I also bought LED strips for lighting to use instead of a lantern.

I have a bunch of rope lighting around my house (previous owner was a led rope light fanatic). Instead of buying a set (or buying a set with the regular wall plug), is there a way to modify the plug, so I can use a connector to my flasher battery? I'm going to have a piggyback connector on the battery, so I want to set it up to have the flat female connector on it. Is it as simple as hacking off the plug, and adding the connectors to the two wires?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea?

TIA