• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice trouble on vehicle

Joe15

This is kind of off the subject of hunting but in a way it is connected as it is my mode of transportation...anyway...for some reason i dont get much ice if any on the front of my windshield or windows, instead i get it on the inside and it will not go away so every time i turn my car on and shut the door it litterally starts snowing inside....any suggestions for fixing this?

Airjer; I wonder if he is talking about having moisture/frost build up on the inside of the car after it is shut off and no heat being applied to the windshield?

Sounds like he has alot of condensation in the car, or maybe a slight leak in the heater sys.?

More information PLEASE!

"it litterally starts snowing inside"

Don't know how its possible to snow inside. Maybe a little snow getting blown past a cold heater core. Or you have the heat off and vent on.

I'm thinking you mean the window is frosting up.

On your heat controls you'll see Fresh Air/Outside Air and Recirculate. It might say that or have a symbol instead. Select Fresh Outside Air. That will have less moister in it.

Try leaving the heating/air controls in different positions like ST said. On Fords at least, if you turn the heater knob to the OFF position, it shuts out air from the outside. They actually recommend that you leave it open so that air circulates through the vehicle while parked.

Try seeing if leaving the vents either opened or closed makes a difference.

Also, you could have a heater core leak. It sounds like you have moisture in the cab. Does it ever smell like syrup in the car? That's a sure sign of coolant burning. It could be evaporating after you shut off the car and making it look like snow on the inside of your car by morning.

Try calling Car Talk!

Do you have AC in the vehicle? Your AC unit will often run when the heater is on to dry the air. If this isn't happening, the air will be moist and you will get condensation build up inside the vehicle. Also, if you get in right away, start driving, you are exhaling moisture, this will often cause a layer of ice to form inside the cab on the windshield. (was terrible on my old D-50) One last thing, if the vents below the windshield wipers are full of snow, the snow effect is more common. It would help if we knew what kind of vehicle you were driving. As for right now, start your vehicle a couple of minutes before you drive away and see if your problem gets fixed.

You'll deffinetely want to have the "fresh air" mode on in the winter. This will help draw in the dry air from the outside of the vehicle rather than having the "recirculation" mode on which will circulate the moist air that,s already in the vehicle.

Having the A/C on will also help remove the moister in the air.

A clean windshield will also reduce the "fogging" of the inside of the windshield!