• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Round Lake

Anyone ever fish Big Round Lake in Polk County? I have a cabin up there and know a few good spots but am looking to find some more, and yes, I'm willing to share some of mine too. I pretty much fish for every species, whatever wants to bite is what I go for.

Also looking for updates as to how the fishing has been lately on BR, heading up on the 28th for the finale.

Thanks.

My dad fished it last Saturday. He fished the end of the point that comes out at the S. end of the lake by where the river goes out and then the hump that is out a ways from that. There were four perch caught between four people. I fished it once last year and did not catch anything. It looks a lot different in the winter than in the summer. I am going to be up there this weekend. Am still not sure where I am going to fish. I will post when I get back.

Trust me the bait shop you talked to is incorrect. The early season walleye bite was just short of fabulous. I personal caught over 25 walleyes. Most were bigger than I like to keep and were released.

My two next door neighbors experienced similar success.

Was up this weekend. I did not fish Round. Went to Bone and Loveless instead. Caught lots of little fish and a few nice ones. The bait shop on Hwy.8 and Hwy.46 said that nothing has been going on Round all this winter. With the warmer weather coming, it may help.

My $.02.

Sturgeon,

I have fished Pickeral many a time myself. (I have a cabin on BRL) We would take the small 14 footer with the trolling motor. We would take our flyrods an slowly troll very small wet & dry flies behind the boat. Mostly rainbows with an occasional brookie. I have had a few of the monster brown trout brood stock on but have never got one in. I once saw a brown chasing minnows by the landing that went 10lbs easy. Great little trout lake. I'll have to try it again this summer.

Live bait work too but you have to sort thrugh the bullheads.

I grew up with a cabin on Big Round. Great memories!! We caught a lot of crappies in the two bays in the spring. Bass in the summer under the docks. Also in the summer all along the bar that runs from the exposed rush island east (I think) to a sunken Island. Also caught a lot of trout in a stocked pit near BRL called Pickeral Lake. There was a slough across the street from there that had a lot of bass. . . A-h-h-h, Memory Lane!

Walleyguy... Pickeral lake is still stocked and producing good fish? Cool. The last time I fished there was probably 1971!

When I was a kid, my dad used to drop me off there in the spring and I'd fish all day with canned corn for bait. Always caught fish - but they'd come right out of the hatchery. Later in the year we'd take the canoe over and fish the edges of the deep hole with crawlers. They trout that had survived opening weekend got a lot bigger - plus hold-overs from previous years. I caught one rainbow that was a good 6 lbs. That was fantastic - - so long ago!

Viddles,

Its badsically at the SE corner of Highway 48 and Cty. Rd. E. Its roughly 3-4 miles from your place.

We fished with flies most of the time. You can certainly cast for them. We always trolled the flies behind the boat with our fly rods because it was easier and we weren't great flycasters. We always had two guys in the boat so it was safer as well!

You will need to bring a boat or float tube to fly fish. Not much room on the shoreline for fly casting.

The lake is deep and very small. 19 acres and 43 ft deep. Pickeral Lake is also known as Crescent Lake. See attached link to a map.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/lakes/lakemap/2458900z.htm

Hey guys, point me in the direction of Pickerel Lake. Where is it located and where can you get access to it?

My old man loves to trout fish so this spring would be a good time to take him over there. Have you ever tried casting flies for them or is it all live bait?