• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bob cats

Saw557

Looking for some advice on catching Bob cats. I've never tried catching them before but I have trapped Fisher with a 220 cubby set. I am afraid if I go at the cats the same as the fisher I will accidently catch fisher. What type of cover/terrain do cats like and what type of sets work the best. Not looking for any bodys hot spots just looking for some advice. I am in the northern part of the state if that makes any differnece

Saw i would say get out there and look for tracks. The beautiful thing about the northern US is snow, you can get out and search out bobcat tracks and then set on sign. You can use pails and conibears if you want. If it were me i would make cubbies with lots of visual disturbance, and attracters.

The toughest part of bobcat trapping is finding them- once you locate their travel route, catching them is easy, because they use the same trails (almost down to the exact footprint) over and over. Look for tracks just inside the edges of cover around small, natural openings in the woods or ridgelines. Once you find tracks, a blind set leg-hold should work just fine- reduces the possibility of fisher, marten, etc. as opposed to a baited set. Are you in MN? If so, you can't use visual attractants this year (i.e. wings, feathers, tinsel, etc.)

I'm no pro, but this is what I was told when I started, and it's worked for me.