• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who are you and what's in the bag?

I think it was a year or so ago that we had a thread where everyone introduced themselves. There's so many different folks here that I thought it would be a good time to reintroduce ourselves. Also, why not tell us about the equipment you use and what subjects you like to shoot. It should be interesting to see what kind of equipment each of us uses.

I'll start. My name is Mike and I live in Hutchinson, MN I've been seriously into this photography thing for about a year and a half. I like to shoot pretty much everything, but I am more interested in old cars, houses and buildings. I'm also starting to learn more about portrait lighting and shooting portraits although I've only begun that journey.

My camera bag contains:

Nikon D80 w/battery grip

Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

Sigma 105mm Macro EX

Brand new today grin Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX

Nikon SB800

Tamron 1.4x teleconverter

All right, lets hear from everyone!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be interesting. I'll play.

I've been serious for about 1 year, the amount of time I've owned my DSLR. Unlike Mike, I pretty much have tunnel vision. If it doesn't move and have fur or feathers, it doesn't interest me much. However, I occasionally see a landscape shot that grabs me. I used to shoot 35mm and did a few weddings, high school seniors and children, but didn't care for it. I also shot, many moons ago, a few sports for some area newspapers. I enjoyed that, and may attempt that again someday with digital.

All my camera bag holds is a Canon 30D, 100-400L f4-f5.6 lens and a Kenko 1.4 conversion lens, which I forget I even have most of the time. Due to not being able to AF with the 1.4, it takes a lot of fun out of it. The only other important piece of electronics in my bag is my Garmin GPS. I hate getting lost. grin

Thinking outside the bag, I have a Bogen monopod with ballhead and bogen tripod with panhead. I also have a Panasonic dmc-fz7 which I use for family pictures and can also be handy for scenics and macros.

Ken should enjoy this one. It'll probably take him an hour to take inventory. wink

Good one, MM.

The bag is always evolving. Speaking of the bag, my Tamrac Cyberpack8 backpack just poppped the main zipper, and the only way it'll stay closed is to lock the straps across it.

Since I spent nearly $200 on what was supposed to be a pro backpack, Tamrac is about the get a BIG piece of what little of my mind is left. frown

I started photography a long time ago and have dabbled in it off and on, always owning a camera, but when I slowed down and got back into weekly newspaper journalism from the fast-paced world of daily papers in 2002, I also got back into photography in a big way. That was with slide film to start, but after only a year of that I went digital, and have been exclusively digital since 2003.

I quit newspapers altogether a year and a half ago and now photograph weddings, portraits of all kinds, nature, promotional and commercial photography, and guide photo excursions into the woods around Ely. My wife (a longtime graphic designer and book designer) and I also produce books for a wide variety of clients, with me editing and organizing and she designing and taking the book through the printing process.

I've shot a lot of top bodies and lenses but don't own any of the tip-top gear because I don't need it for my business, and my business can't afford it. While I own pretty much only L glass from Canon, it's not the bazillion dollar fast lenses in most cases. Great stuff, though, and stellar image quality. Also a testament to the fact that you don't necessarily have to spend $4,000 to $7,000 apiece for lenses and camera bodies to make your living at this.

Canon 30D/grip

Canon 20D/grip

Canon 400 f5.6L

Canon 70-200 f2.8L

Canon 100 f2.8 macro

Canon 17-40 f4L

Canon 1.4 teleconverter Mk2

Canon 430EX flash

Kenko extension tubes

Manfrotto 475B tripod

Manfrotto 724B tripod

Manfrotto 680B monopod

Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead

Manfrotto 3039 pan/tilt head

Better Beamer flash extender

Various other flash accessories

Various remote shutter releases

50 Gb of SanDisk and Lexar CF cards

Lots and lots of BP511 equivalent 20D/30D batteries from SterlingTek

Lots and lots of rechargeable AA batteries for flash and GPS

Various filters, reflectors and diffusers.

That's the gist. There's a lot of other misc stuff in the bag, but you get the idea.

I interpreted the word "bag" loosely. As if a Brit said: "What's in your kit?" And while it won't all fit in the bag, it'll all strap onto the bag. smilesmile

And of course, the most important things any photographer brings to the table don't fit in the bag at all. Heart, mind, soul, eye. Gear is gear, but these things are what turns gear into inspirational tools.

Wow. That sounds stupid even to me. gringrin

Don't mean to sidetrack this. So, everyone, what's in your kit? smilesmile

I don't know if I want to go next after that list.

My name is Dave and I live in Litchfield, Mn. I have been interested in photography for many years. I had a Canon 35mm that I used mostly in the auto mode. I got into fly- fishing South East Mn. (hence my screen name) and always brought my digital point and shoot with. That didn’t do it for me after a few years and decided it was time. I just recently purchased my DSLR and love it. I like to take photographs of landscapes but, like X-tackleman, fur and feather trips my shutter button.

Canon XSi

Canon 70-300 f/4 -5.6 IS

Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS

Monopod

Tripod

Memory cards 10G

Filters

Batteries

GPS

Who are you and what's in the bag?

Hmmmm. The last time I heard that they made me pour it out on the ground. laughcrazy

I did take a look in the kit....here's what I came up with.

1. Canon d30 (that's not a typo) body with 28-80 kit lens attached

2. Canon 20d with a Canon 70-200 f4L stuck on that.

3. Some kind of cheapo monopod

4. A bunch of flash cards

5. Enough batteries to qualify for Federal Clean Up funds.

6. A handful of Werthers hard candies circa unknown

7. A 58mm polarizing filter that I really thought I would use

8. Quantaray QB6500 Flash

9. 4 carabiners (You never know)

As for who I am. I wish I knew. The name on the drivers license says Bob. I've been taking photo's since high school...which was during the Carter Administration. It's what helps keep me sane...although some say it isn't working. I love taking nature photos, but also dabble in candids. I am a dedicated naturalist (not naturist...I quit that) and look at nature with same fascination and wonder that I have since I was a child. I also dabble as a freelance writer, which basically means I have published some stuff, but have yet to be paid in any type of legal currency. wink

I kid and joke regularly...it' all in fun and with respect to you all. I've seen the very serious and ugly side to life and try to live my life as far away from that as possible.

There you go....Yeti exposed...but not in the naturist sort of way blush

Well, here goes. I've been taking photos ever since I won a box camera at the fair when I was six years old - that was during the Eisenhower administration! I did get hooked early and actually looked at photojournalism for awhile as a vocation. Settled for hobby photographer until the late 70's and early 80's when I did some wedding photography on the side for awhile. Got out of it until about five years ago. I was publishing an online newsletter about Northeastern Minnesota and needed a newfangled digital camera to take photos for it. One thing led to another and eventually had people start asking if they could buy some of my prints. Had a long talk with the wife and invested enough to get a 10D with a kit lens and a 70-300 IS. From there it was, how serious do I get about this gig? Fortunately, I was selling enough to start getting some better gear. I'm in a different situation than most here. Both my wife and I have good day jobs, so any money I've made over the last 5 years I've been able to sink right back into the business. I plan to retire in a little over a year, so am investing now while I can so that I won't have to spend money to continue after retirement. My "kit":

(2) 1D Mark II's

40D

50D

and if I looked hard enough probably still have one of the old 10D's laying around.

Lenses are all Canons:

50 mm 1.8

28-105

17-40L

100L 2.8 macro

100-400L

70-200L 2.8

300L 2.8

and my latest baby 500L f/4

several filters, remotes etc.

1.4 Canon teleconverter

2.0 Kenko teleconverter

550EX

580EX

3 pocket wizards

Better Beamer

50+gigs of cards

Batteries to match

4 tripods and a monopod

Hard cases, backpacks and other assorted carrying devices

Finished my studio this past summer - 10x24 complete with 1000 watt Novatron studio lights, backdrops, and all the trimmings

A 400 watt Novatron set of lights for on location work, with portable backdrops

Numerous other odds and ends

Now, I'm sure this sounds like a lot (and it is)and like Steve says, you don't need all the top stuff to take good photos, but for me it's an investment in another vocation after I retire and I've been lucky enough to make enough at taking photos to purchase it all cash.

Now, I'm sure this sounds like a lot (and it is)and like Steve says, you don't need all the top stuff to take good photos, but for me it's an investment in another vocation after I retire and I've been lucky enough to make enough at taking photos to purchase it all cash.

Also, a nice tax write off. wink

Royce from Sauk Rapids here. North Dakota native, been here since 1990. Taking pics is just a for fun thing for me. I knew it was getting bad last summer when fonz said "you gonna fish or keep takin pics?" I'm a die hard archer and fisherman but the camera is definatley joining the party!

Canon Powershot X10IS

4 Spare Recharchable Batteries

Battery Charger

Hello Y'all. My name is Cliff and I live in my hometown, St. Cloud. I have lived in Fargo, Kansas City, Tulsa, and Mpls. before finding my way back. I have had an OM-10, AE-1, Rebel G,.. so that will date me for those that recognize those models. A friend invites me to his cabin near Bear Island Lake so for a few days a year I'm neighbors with Finnbay & Stcatfish.

I have a rekindled interest in this photo hobby after being away from it for awhile. I really enjoy checking this forum with all of you so willing to share and help us minor league players. I feel so overwhelmed at times when I study my owners manual. I don't remember all of these possible settings from the film days. Yesterday I changed my camera setting to RAW, I'm going to try that for awhile after looking at Steve's tutoring post.

I like shooting candid family and outdoors scenes I stumble upon.

Here's my list:

Canon XSi

Canon 50mm 1.8

Canon 18-55 IS

Canon 100-300

Tamron 24-135

Mostly a lurker on here, but I enjoy the photo's and expertise that you guys share.

I shoot mostly portraits at this time. I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather.

Back in the 1980's, I used a Canon T-90, which was a great camera if anyone can remember that far back. I took up a bad habit called golf and ended up selling my gear to buy clubs. Then I got married and the wife bought a Minolta Maxxum and some lens/flashes that we accumulated over the years. A couple of years ago, I decided I needed a DSLR and I went with the Sony Alpha since all my Minolta Lens/Flash/Accesories would work with that body. I've been happy with it so far, but would love to upgrade to the A700 or A900.

SONY Alpha a100

Sigma 70mm f2.8 (trying to sell)

Tamron 70-200mm f2.8

Sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6

Tamron 18-50mm f2.8

a couple of older Minolta Lens

Sony Alpha Flash (forget the model)

Off camera hot shoe

Tripod/Monopod/cleaner/CF Cards

Studio Lights

4 muslins, Umbrellas, Softbox, etc

And of course, the most important things any photographer brings to the table don't fit in the bag at all. Heart, mind, soul, eye. Gear is gear, but these things are what turns gear into inspirational tools.

Sarah from Marshall in SW MN. And I, for one, don't think the above to be at all silly. Not sure but what these aren't the first things to pack in that bag. I started out borrowing my kids' Nikon 70 SLR with 70-300 lens for a trip to Ireland. I caught a sweet little Irish robin on a mossy cemetary stone. Hooked! I bought a Canon elan 7E with 28-90 lens. But I never took the next step to buy the zoom lens. I also never ventured away from the auto settings. I liked the camera though. So when X started shooting photos of my birds in the back yard last winter and I could see what digital had evolved to, I decided to take the plunge to digital. This is what I bought:

Rebel XTi with kit lens on Mike's recommendation

Canon EF 70-300 IS lens

2 battery packs (since the 3rd is out in a cornfield with some whooping cranes)

13 G of memory cards

new Sunpak Pro 724m monopod which I like, and SunPack ball head which I don't

and of course the bag

This will not be my last digital camera, but as so much of successful photography is not in the equipment, I am determined to draw everything I can from the equipment I have before moving on.

Someone (not to mention any names) has forced me to start learning the settings. I prefer feathered, scenic, and macro shots. The monthly challenges are helping me to remember to bring along the eye. Heart, mind and soul are part of the learning curve. Sometimes forget in the heat of the moment. I am a hiker/walker sort of person. Along with my dog, the camera is a perfect companion. Maggie actually sits as soon as I bring the camera up. I have been retired for all of one-and-a-half weeks, and yes I do remember the Eisenhower administration. But I am not quite as old as Methusalah(?was he the old dude?)--just lucky. But watch out Finn. There is a bit of adaptation to this retirement thing. When the world hears about it, they beat a pathway to your door! Seem to think you must need something to do. I can't seem to get out in the woods anymore! I am going to learn to say no soon--and rejoice that the hunter type people are now gone for another nine months.

Hi I'm Dori, and well I dont think I've ever ate a fish before!

Hehehe gotta love finding Nemo.

Ok ok I'm still a newbi on here but oh well here's my story.

My names Melanie grew up in country Australia (Victoria)lived in Melbourne for about 8 years before moving to the U.S. Lived only in MN since comming here 7 years ago, the cities now for about 3 of them. I have always loved photography but never pursued any schooling (I wish I sometimes had though). I worked for a portrait studio over the xmas rush one year and loved it but realized I'm a nature girl, love taking pics of flowers and scenery. I've never had any decent equipment but usually make do with what I have at the time.

Just got a new cam for my birthday and apart from my old digi cam I'm afraid it's all I have, but am very happy to have it.

Fugi Fine Pix S1000 and I have no dang clue how to use it HAHA.

Quote:
But watch out Finn. There is a bit of adaptation to this retirement thing. When the world hears about it, they beat a pathway to your door! Seem to think you must need something to do. I can't seem to get out in the woods anymore!

I've heard that, and thanks for the warning. I'll be on my guard! smile

Hi,

Deitz Dittrich, I live in Lindstrom, Minnesota. Am an Elem P.E. Teacher...

My camera is a Canon A10, its a crummy point and shoot.. However the photo board is the first message board I look at on FM every morning.. Thanks all for all the great picts! Honestly it makes my morning.

I got started with 35mm cameras when I was in the service stationed in Germany and went to Italy for a week and took along my handy 110 Kodak and when I returned and got my film developed I was so disappointed with the quality that I went to the PX and bought a Minolta XD11 with a 50mm 1.4. Later I added a Soligor 75-250 and a Minolta 28mm. When I got back to the states I found that I did not use it as much simply because it was a lot more expensive to develop film in the states. When I got the bug again to start shooting and with the advancements of digital shooting I new I wanted a DSLR so I got rid of some toys to make room for some new ones. Here is what I got in the bag.

Canon 30D

Canon 100-400L

Canon 17-85

Canon 580EX

Canon extender 1.4xII

Canon EF25 extension tube

Manfrotto 680B monopod

Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead

Pelican 1520 case

Lowepro Toploader 75 AW

Amvona 858 tripod with a ATH-A04 ballhead

Amvona CF92 tripod with a ATH-A01 ballhead

Hi Everybody!

I'm Aaron, a middle school special ed. teacher from over in Western WI (go easy on me:-)

I've been on the MN Forums for awhile, but a new-comer to the photography threads. About 4 years ago I bought a Cybershot DSC-P93 to take on a trip out east for some college credit. Didn't really know what I was doing with it, just wanted a half decent camera to take some photos of DC and Boston with, and a buddy that works at Best Buy hooked me up with his discount:-) so it was a pretty easy choice. Not being completely happy with what it could do recently, it was about time to upgrade...

Long story short, 4 years later I get a new camera but still really don't know what I am doing:-)

The wife and I splurged some of our 'wedding cash' on a new Sony Alpha 300 DSLR with an 18-70mm lens and also a 75-300mm. I'm still getting acquainted with it, but in 7 short days I will try and really put it to work in Hawaii. Exploring some options and features, but I am thinking nature/landscape pics and maybe some macro will capture my interest the most. This site has been incredibly helpful in getting me going, so-Thanks Everyone! It's good to meet you all and hopefully will have some pics for advice here in about two weeks!!

Hello All!

Newer member to this forum but I have been learning alot. College student(junior) at UW-Stevens Point majoring in wildlife Ecology. Looks like i may take a road trip to the western shores of lake michiga this weekend so hopefully i can bring back a few nice works of art!

My small but slowly growing collection contains a cannon bag, cannon digital rebel xt, 18-55 cannon lens, 55-250 cannon lens, half a dozen sunpack filters, sunpack tripod. Looking to upgrade to a larger lens but unsure if a $800 bill will hurt my college funding:)

Hey everyone, I'm Gary, a retired teacher from Eden Prairie, who now has time to pursue new hobbies- digital photography- being one of them. I really enjoy any excuse to be outdoors and really love nature. I've been reading this forum every day for a couple of years now and have learned many things and have enjoyed many incredible photos being shared. This site gives me much motivation to improve my skills. I've posted a few pics here and hope to get more involved in the future as my skill level and equipment quality improve.

Here's what's in my bag:

Pentax K 100 D

Pentax 18-55mm

Tamron 70-300mm

Pentax-M 135mm

Tamron 1.4x TC

Tripod

Thanks to all!

It's great to hear from people who have been watching but have been pretty quiet. Their comments similar to "I've learned a lot from this forum" really bring home what this forum is about. Kudos to the moderators for helping many more people than you will ever know!

Hi Everybody!

I'm Aaron, a middle school special ed. teacher

I student taught and did a little subbing in middle school spec. ed. You have many stars in your crown, as the Catholics used to say. But look--GCLARK retired from teaching and has lived to tell about it! I hope that honeymoon is great. I am so glad you bought a good camera and lenses at the start of your life together. You will be able to document and remember all of the special times (and ordinary times as well.)