• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Montana tags ??

sportfish

I have also been wondering about this. I planned on applying to Montana. If I didn't get drawn I planned on getting and OTC elk tag in Colorado. It sounds like CO is a zoo unless you know of a place way off the path.

Check out the Montana DNR site. I thought they published success rates for each zone. I thought I found those before.

Totally depends on the zone. There are OTC tags available, but obviously your best chance for getting a good tag is applying to the lottery.

I figure if I don't get drawn it would still be awesome to head out west and try to get a cow with my bow and learn elk hunting on the fly.

With Montana you first need to apply for a elk tag or a combination elk/deer tag. The deadline is usually in March and somewhere around 60-70% to draw one. If drawn for a tag you just bought it as they ask for the $$ upfront.

A lot of areas don't have limited entry but some of the better areas do. If the area you want to hunt has limited entry you need to apply for a permit for that area and the deadline for the permit is the beginning of June. If you are unsuccessful in drawing a permit for a given area you are stuck hunting an area that doesn't require one. Hope this helps.

TODDY