• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you fool a deer's nose?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where I'd have to disagree with you Bear. Just washing yourself and your clothes is not just as good or better. All that does is start you out clean. We produce body odor continuosly from the minute we get out of the shower.

When compairing the two I just think its more imporant to be clean and scent free to begin with. Look at it this way if you could only choose between showering before a hunt or using carbon suite which would you choose? There are a lot of questions when is comes to the science behind carbon clothing. A lot of people say that the suites are pretty much worthless before they leave the store. Then it takes something like 1500 degrees to reactivate the carbon which we all know can't be duplicated in a dryer.

I obviously would want to do both, but if I could only do one, I would start out without being clean myself and cover completely with carbon. Even if you start out clean, if you hunt or sit for any length of time you are going to produce odor. And it doesn't take 1500 degrees to regenerate carbon when it is used to adsorb human odor. When it is used to adsorb industrial or hazaradous waste and a chemical bond is created, then that kind of heat is required to break the bond. But when used on human odor (aldehydes, sulfides, butyric acid, etc) the bond is a physical bond, not a chemical bond, and very low energy. Easily broken by the heat of your dryer.

Propster, I actually believe what you are describing as partially true. However I think over time the suites become worthless as they fill up with molecules that a dryer isn't going to get rid of. Now the company says that is maybe 4 or 5 years but I think its more like 1-2 years or maybe less. I also don't thing there is enough carbon in the clothing, I think many of use have seen the photo of cloth with the specs of carbon on it with large open areas not covered by carbon.

Like I said before I think it helps and is a part of a scent control routine but in my opion not the key part. The other issue is cost, spending $150 for carbon underwear is a little rediculous when no one really knows for sure how well the stuff works. Sure guys claim it works but more often then not the guy using it is really watching his overall scent. When I first used a carbon suite I saw an increase in my deer sightings, but when gave up and carbon and start really focusing on scent elimination and keeping everything clean I saw the same amount of deer and maybe even more.

if it works for you can't argue. just remember that activated carbon is still the most odor adsorbent material we know of, and a gram of ac has the equivalent surface area of about 5 football fields - all sites for adsorption.