• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Google earth lake & river names?

JimBuck

Question

Greetings all. I am using Google Earth and have been trying to figure out if they offer names for bodies of water? I know Tonka should up but what about all of the other lakes? Is there something I could download that might offer this info? It seems like a big oversight for Google not to include the names for most bodies of water. Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Yeah, I used to love that feature! Well, I ended answering my own question. Hopefully this will be useful to the rest of you.

In your "Layers" palette on the left-hand side. Open Places of Interest>Geographic Features>Water Bodies. Happy researching.

Make sure the layers are checked on, sometimes it takes a while to stream all the info, as that would be the last thin sent.

FYI I made a suggestion to someone who does coding on Google Earth that they should add topographic lake maps as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed, as he said it seemed like a good idea (as it already caters to astronomers, why not boaters, fisherman, scuba divers, etc as well).

I use Google Earth, but recently started using Microsoft Virtual Earth because it has a "bird's eye" view feature that is awesome (in town). Tonka in bird's eye is really neat!

Google maps have a street view as well. Very cool, but kind of freaky

It's a technical loophole that allows MS to use that. For security reasons a satellite cannot have images with a resolution higher than 50cm per pixel. However aerial photos can be of any resolution. Since google uses only satellite images, they can't be nearly as clear. However, google should be able to offer the 50 cm resolution pretty much everywhere in the near future with the launch of their new satellite.