• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey all:

If you're up for coming to the FM gathering at Nelson Lake near Hayward next Saturday, sound off so we can get a head count. If we can line up one or two grills, we can have a feast on the ice.

I'm planning a trip to Nelson tomorrow, part fishing, part scouting.

So I don't know yet which landing we're going to go off yet. I want to stare at pike tip-ups for awhile and get into an evening walleye bite and find out where the crappies might be biting. Then I'll check around the bait stores.

And if anyone of you guys knows Nelson well and has some opinion on which spot has the most potential for crappies/'eyes/pike, chime in. Lots of timber, lots of cribs, only really deep water is the hole on the east side of the lake.

What you think?

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Cool. I've called the bait shops, and it sounds like folks are catching some crappies at Lake 25, the deep hole in the east end. There are cribs scattered around the 33-foot hole, as well as some more cribs in about 20 feet of water in a trough just to the NW of the hole. Walleyes can be had on an evening bite around those shallower cribs, and pike tip-ups along those areas in shallower water would work all day.

There is a poorly marked public access that comes on right by Lake 25. I've been off it a couple times and can find it, but need to take another scouting trip to post exact directions. I'll do that in the next few days. There's very little parking at the access, but the ice is way thick enough for trucks (I've driven out there twice this winter), so that's not a problem.

I suggest we meet at Lake 25 (it's a small area with the only permanent houses for quite a ways), and I'll give directions to that, too.

Bait can be had at Hayward Bait and Tackle or Pastika's Sport Shop in Hayward, for those of you traveling a longer ways.

See you there, and stay tuned for more info.

I think we should all meet at Lake 25 (specific directions to come) on Nelson at 8 a.m. For those who want to come later, come away, I'll make sure I stay on Lake 25, as I'm sure some other folks will stay, so if some wander, there'll still be an FM contingent.

So, Condor, I plan on leaving town no later than 6:30 a.m.

FreeFlySpy:

There is an access with a gradual slope that leads right down the point and onto Lake 25 that I see guys using, and I wonder if that's the one you're talking about on private land. It basically points right to the deep hole there and you hardly have to travel any distance on the ice.

The one I've used is just a quarter mile or so short of that one, and is further south. It is steeper and has a brown DNR advisory sign or two at the water's edge. It is a left turn off (I believe) Small Rd. There is room for two or three vehicles to park. The turn is not marked from the road (you can see the ramp from the road) and it's not on my maps, but it is there. It gets you out on the lake a few hundred yards south of Lake 25. Northlander and I walked out from there at first ice, and I've driven out of there a couple times since.

Am I confused? Is the one I'm talking about a private access?

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 02-10-2003).]

The access I use is off of small road.It is about straight east of the island and a hair south.As you approach the water there is a house or cottage to the right up on the hill. It leads straight out to the deep water.I dont think you will have a problem with either access if you drive sraight out, but would caution about hanging signs and parking alot of vehicles on the shore line without permission.

FreeFlySpy:

Pretty sure the steeper access is public because of the DNR signs, but whichever we use we shouldn't need to park on the land at all, I figure.

Northlander and I are reconnoitering the whole thing Thursday, and I'll post specific directions for the landing late Thursday or early Friday. grin.gif

You guys have a great time! Most of the locals out there use tip downs set about a foot off the bottom for crappies in deep water. Tip ups closer to the east shore line and even out from the island. Dont give up tip ups out from the small rd access.
If you see my buddy Jim out by his shack go talk to him. He is a heck of a nice guy.

FreeFly:

Have fun? You bet! Can't wait.

I don't understand one sentence of you post: "Dont give up tip ups out from the small rd access." Does that mean don't give up on tip-ups there?

We'll look up Jim. What's his house look like? Does he know your FM handle?

OK, so far we've got Condor, stfcatfish, Northlander, Poutslayer.

Be nice if it's more than just four guys who all know each other. They're cool guys, but I'm up for meeting some new folks too, especially someone who is of normal height. My neck gets sore from all the looking up I have to do talking with these fellows. grin.gif

Anyone else in?

National Weather Service sez temps in the 20s on Saturday (finally). Northlander's bringing a grill. I'm bringing a pot of chili.

i think my dad is wanting to head up there. i would have if it was on a different weekend. ill let ya know sooner to the date if my dad is headin up there. i think he sent you and email stf. i dont know if you got it or not.

Pigsticka:

He did e-mail me, and I replied, but I guess I replied after his old e-mail address was discontinued and before he had his new one, so we never made contact more than that.

But we're planning to meet on Lake 25 of Nelson Lake at 8 a.m. Saturday. There will be at least three and probably four of us from Superior, and anyone else who chimes in tonight or Friday.

I'll post in a minute with precise directions, and you can forward them to your pa.

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]