• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what kind of minnow is this?

cvanderweyst

I noticed this strange minnow in with the bait I purchased the past weekend. I tried it and caught a 20" walleye, but it was the only minnow like it in my bucket. The I baught more minnows and got one more of the mystery minnows. I have been doing some research and the only thing it resembles is a rainbow darter, but it has one less dorsal fin than the rainbow darter. It has a rounded tail instead of a forked tail like most minnows.

Any help would be appreciated in identifying this creature.

100_0043.jpg

100_0041.jpg

Good call croixeyes. I get those in my traps all the time, some of them over 4". I finally found out the name when I visited the Great Lakes Aquarium in Duluth this Fall with my daughter.

Rainbow darter was my first suspect as well, thought the murky water from the ponds at our place caused the brilliant colors to get all muddy.

I remember Jim Keuten from Jim's Bait here in Duluth swearing by the mud minnows. He loved them - the walleyes loved 'em, and they stayed alive and frisky on a guys hook forever, it seemed.

Ah, the good ol' days at Jim's Bait. Coffee and limits daily...

A buddy and I were on an 'eye bite a couple years back were mudminnows were all the fish would hit!!! So we went back to gander mountain that night and cleaned all there tanks of them and they didn't charge us a dime. Pretty cool!