• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insurance for fish house

KOTTKE

FYI to everyone, Talk to youyr insurance agent regarding insuring a permanent houses. I placed a rider on my existing homeowner policy last yr. I believe they call it a trailer, it cost me about $75/yr. I was wiped out last yr on Waconia and was able to recover some of my $$. I am still wondering how the depreciate jigs and hooks. Its also important to have an inventor of all your items in the house. You will be amazed at what it costs to get set up again. Hopefully no one will have to go thru this but if you do, make sure your insured!!!

Had to leave town for a unforseen funeral and wasn't thinking. I have several folks that I fish with and we keep a scheduel with some on the lake everynight. A guy should not have to put up with this [PoorWordUsage], but that is the reality of it.

FYI to everyone, Talk to youyr insurance agent regarding insuring a permanent houses. I placed a rider on my existing homeowner policy last yr. I believe they call it a trailer, it cost me about $75/yr. I was wiped out last yr on Waconia and was able to recover some of my $$. I am still wondering how the depreciate jigs and hooks. Its also important to have an inventor of all your items in the house. You will be amazed at what it costs to get set up again. Hopefully no one will have to go thru this but if you do, make sure your insured!!!

I was told by my state farm agent that I was covered under my Home Owners insurance. Do I need to be concerned?

You should be concerned about it being on your homeowners policy. If you have 3 claism, esp theft they will cancel you and you will by from the sate at about 50% more with less coverage. I recently had my auger, flasher, camera and 12V DC tvwith a DVD stolen worth about 1500. With a 1000 deductable I may not claim for the 500 as it may become a problem if I have other claims. Would suggest a separate policy for it the house an contents if you can get it.

You should be covered fine under your homeowners policy if your house is on skids. We covered losses such as this under the homeowners coverage C, which is contects. If its a wheel house check with your agent. Most companies now require those to be ridered to your auto policy just like a utility trailer. It is not expensive considering the investment. The damage to the wheel house ie: it comes off your hitch while towing, is run into by some clown doing shi*ties on the lake would come from your collision coverage. Vandalism would fall under comp. Contents should fall under your HO policy subject to your deductible. As mentioned inventory is an excellent idea; especially on the larger items. All losses would be settled at Actual Cash Value (depreciated). You would have 180 days to replace the item and show the difference in the depreciated settlement and the actual cost to replace. Again, its very important to contact your agent regarding each companies specific coverages and or limitians. I would strongly advise to get his determination of coverages in writing. I am giving info here based on the company that I represented for 22 years. Good luck and hang on. Bill (retired agency owner)

If your fish house has a license plate which the state law requires of all wheeled houses whether they can haul an atv or not you would need a seperate insurance policy for it. It is no different from a boat, trailer, or vehicle for that matter.

There may be some insurance companies that would cover it under the home owner policy but I would check with your agent before you figured it would with say a new $10,000 fish house.

If you have a fish house on ski's it would be covered under your home owners policy if you own a home of course. With all the wind and hail storms occuring these days a seperate policy for a permenant fish house on skis is not a bad idea.

My Dad had some hail damage to his roof and gutters in 06/07 and his State Farm adjuster wrote $1,000 into his claim to cover the hole in the roof of his camper trailer. I've seen other adjusters ask home owners if trailers with hail damage on the property have there own policy. As a matter of fact the more I think about it there have been more claims I've worked were the home owners got money from camper trailers that had hail damage tied to the home owners claim. One deductible for all damages.

Of course while in tow the wheeled house would be covered under the tow vehicles insurance policy.

I'll be honest I don't have a seperate policy for my LOW house or wheeled house. Neither stay on my property so not sure if my home owners policy would even cover it.

Two Winters ago saw a wheeled house on LOW up in flames. My agent had his cabin broke into a couple years ago and after making a claim and getting all new stuff it happened again shortly there after. The second time around he didn't file a claim. My house was broken into recently and didn't file a claim but decided to move to a safer area instead.

You should be able to purchase a separate policy under what would probably be classified as an RV policy. This way your home owners insurance policy premium doesn't get raised if you have a claim on the fish house.

A 10 or 20% policy premium increase on your RV policy due claims costs a lot less than the same increase on your homeowners.

Another thing to note is some policies require you to report thefts to the police. I handle insurance claims for a living but every policy is different so the best thing to do is cover your basis and talk to your agent.

Again just my input based on the company I represented. A recreational policy is intended to cover items such as ATV, Sleds, boats because they are motorized. A wheel house does not have a motor, therefore we endorsed it to the auto policy just like any other utility trailer. You only pay premium on the physical damage coverage for the trailer, the liability extends from the towing vehicle. I would not have been able to write a recreational policy just on the wheel house, no motor. In the summer months when the wheel house was not being towed we would suspend the collision coverage and only keep the comp in place. It would be fully insured while parked as comp will cover, wind, hail, fire theft, vandalism etc. Hope this helps. Again the cost was minimal $50-$60 per year. good luck guys and hang on. Bill

PS If you have any type of property policy homeowners, renters, condo, or mobil home a skid house or for that matter a portable flip style it would fall under that policy as well as the contents. Our company just before I retired and sold the agency introduced a new homeowners policy that will not cancel for claims, and if you were claim free for the one year period you would recieve a 5% bonus check at renewal. This is totally awesome especially in the land of wind and hail.

Again just my input based on the company I represented. A recreational policy is intended to cover items such as ATV, Sleds, boats because they are motorized. A wheel house does not have a motor, therefore we endorsed it to the auto policy just like any other utility trailer. You only pay premium on the physical damage coverage for the trailer, the liability extends from the towing vehicle. I would not have been able to write a recreational policy just on the wheel house, no motor. In the summer months when the wheel house was not being towed we would suspend the collision coverage and only keep the comp in place. It would be fully insured while parked as comp will cover, wind, hail, fire theft, vandalism etc. Hope this helps. Again the cost was minimal $50-$60 per year. good luck guys and hang on. Bill

PS If you have any type of property policy homeowners, renters, condo, or mobil home a skid house or for that matter a portable flip style it would fall under that policy as well as the contents. Our company just before I retired and sold the agency introduced a new homeowners policy that will not cancel for claims, and if you were claim free for the one year period you would recieve a 5% bonus check at renewal. This is totally awesome especially in the land of wind and hail.

The company I work for writes all travel trailers, motor homes, cargo trailer etc.. under the same type of policy. I have my motorcycle insured with the same company that insures my autos and home (not company I work for) and they don't actually have a motorcycle policy. My motorcycle is insured under what they classify as a "boat" policy.

Basically, all companies/polices can be different and the only way to know what is covered is to read your own policy and/or speak with your agent.

My Wheel House is registered as an RV/Toy Hauler. I have full coverage comp and collision with a $250 deductable and I aslo have full glass coverage on it. We bought the unit with the ability to be able to use it all year. I don't have the exact numbers with me but I believe it is under $150/year thru AmFam and I have it insured for approximately $ 35K

My wheel house is covered by a RV policy. As I understand it, if the wheel house comes loose from the hitch and does a few flipflops in the ditch it will be covered this way. I wouldn't depend on my home owners policy for such a thing. Just what I heard from my agent.

Assumed values are rarely paid when a total loss occurs. For a classic car you need an appraisal to insure for a said amount.

Agents are quick to say they will pay what you want in a loss but the adjusters are the ones you deal with at that point. They are paid to check current market value and you better believe thats what they do!

Had an atv stolen a couple years back no all to well how it is. On the form I filled out from the insurance company they had the netacity to ask what I would "like" to get as a settlement.

In a perfect world vehicles and toys wouldn't depreciate.