• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Total Newbee to Ice Fishing

PTocko

I just got started last year, and I am still a noob at this hardwater game. I had to do it cheap, and still do.

Shelter: My first year, I used my turkey blind. Not real warm, but it kept me out of the wind. I just dressed warm and brought a heater with me, and occasionally got wierd looks from other guys. I found a flipover from the List of Craig for pretty cheap, so that's what I'll be using this year.

Auger: If I had money in the budget for it, I'd probably get a power auger. Around January, when the ice is real thick, a hand auger definitely limits your mobility. The thought of drilling several holes through 30" of ice is enough to make me stay home and watch TV.

Electronics: Boy, I'd love to have a flasher, but it's pretty tough trying to convince the wife that I need one. A couple hundred bucks isn't that easy to come by right now, so I stick to my open water unit. I built a little box with a plexiglass lid for it, so I can throw a heat pack in there to keep the screen running at full speed. I know it's not as good as a flasher, but it's better than nothing, and it's within the budget.

Don't let the lack of a particular piece of equipment keep you off the ice. As long as you can punch a hole and get a minnow down there, it's worth doing.

I would use what you have and don't feel that you need to have everything. For less than 100 bucks your lowrance will convert to ice and work great. I have a flasher and the lowrance and if all I had was the lowrance I would be more than happy. Try and save a little here and there in the summer for ice fishing. You will be surprised how much you will be able to save when you remember ice fishing throughout the summer. Go fishing with some people to get a grasp of what equipment you like and what you think you need. Augers are extremely important but a used older one will work if you aren't running and gunning or drilling through really thick ice. Getting a good ice hut is getting easier and cheaper. Keep an eye out for one with a tear that is easily fixed by a thread and needle. Be sure to look at where you are going to be fishing, and what you are going to be fishing for. You don't need great reels with expensive drags, or heavy rods if you are panfishing. Take your time and be sure to enjoy it cause thats the real reason you are out there. Ask as many questions as you can because as you can see there will be no short of answers!!

I would agree with what everyone has said. The quickest and by far the cheapest way to figure out how gear works and what you might like is to go with people who own gear. See if you can use a flasher for a few minutes while fishing with a friend. Most people don't like to fish without their flasher for more than 10 minutes though. grin Look at the house they have and ask what they like or dislike. I don't think there are too many people that would mind if you punched a few holes for them with their auger either. grin

Houses come in all shapes and sizes but my first one was a Shappell 2000 and they run around $175 new. A Clam 2000 and even a 5600 can be purchased on c-list for $200 - $250. The flipovers are very nice and double as a sled for all your gear.

The auger that you can get for cheap is probably a Strikemaster Mag 2000 since it has an 8 1/4" hole. If you want a power auger for less, a Mag 3 is an older Strikemaster model that can often be picked up for under $150. Eskimo also makes affordable augers that sell for a little cheaper. Check any pawn shops because many run great and still have plenty of life left. (I just saw a Jiffy Model 30 for $160. I bought a Strikemaster Mag 2000 for $225 and its basically new.)

I was also on a budget a few years ago and in the same boat you are....

I needed a house, auger, and flasher.

To me each is equally important in differenct aspects. I bought a house first (shappell 2000 - $180). I then bought a vexilar (FL-8 for $150) and finally bought an auger (Mag 3 - $100... upgraded to a Mag 2000 - $225)

You will find that you can get all 3 for under $500 if your patient and jump on a good deal. Being that you already have a flasher, the other two can easily be had with the remaining money.