• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best heater for portable

RignJig

I use the regular buddy size heater in my voyager, but I also installed reflectix on the roof, and I put the heater behind the seats. I clamp a board from the aluminum bar to the back edge of the sled and the heater stays there. I usually run it on low after the house has warmed up. I do carry a smaller single burner for those rare days that I am out there in the blistering cold.

I think a regular sized buddy and reflectix is the way to go....

I've used the heater/cooker for over 10 years only problem i ever had was last year the thermo coupler had to be replaced, I've used this in a 3 man flip over on low and worked great also you can't beat it when it comes to lunch time flip it throw a pot on and you have soup/stew/chili/hot dogs whatever ready to go while you heat your house.

One thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is RELIABILITY.

I've had a Mr Heater Cooker for 10+yrs and, believe me, it has taken a beating! Fires up every time, throws a ton of heat, and it's a simple piece of trusty equipment. I know there have been issues with Buddy heaters in the past with fans, filters needed on the gas line, and seals on the threads if I remember right. Don't get me wrong, I really like Buddy heaters, but personally, I'll opt for the cheaper, simpler, more reliable option.

One thing I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is RELIABILITY.

That's what I've been thinking about reading the posts... I've had a cooker for a while now (10 years probably) and it still works as good as the day I bought it - I replaced the top screen once, but that's about it. It's all metal, and pretty tough to beat.

Another friend used to use a big buddy, the heat was pretty good (as good as the cooker anyway, if not a bit better), the fan was nice when the batteries were good, and putting it against the fabric of the house without burning it was awesome... but, after 2 years there's not a lot left... the grab handle is long since busted, one of the ceramic plates is cracked... and he had to monkey with the pilot light to get it to work a couple of times...

They are nice heaters, and maybe my friend is a bit rough with his stuff, but there's a bit more plastic on it then I'd like to see for trips across the ice in a sled on a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.

All that said, there is a lot to be said for not having to deal with the extra CO given off by the cooker vs the buddy.

marine_man

I purchased a Big Buddy for my Otter Large Resort a couple years ago. While I really like the concept I was worried about all of the plastic and that it would not keep me warm when it was below zero, I ended up returning it to the store. I use a double burner Mr.Heater and keep a sunflower and a cooker for a backup. If they build a Big Buddy that will put out as much heat as a double burner I would purchase it.