• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging Spoons-Treble hook or single hook

PK3

Just wondering what your preference is when it comes to jigging spoons. Do you keep a treble on if it was bought with one or do you change it out to a single hook? Any pros/cons of either?

On the smaller spoons I like to change the treble out with a single hook, more for panfish and perch, on the larger spoons I have some with singles, and some with trebles. I have found no difference in the catching. It is easier to remove a single hook when deeply hooked though.

WW

I agree, single hook on smaller spoons seems best...it is a pain trying to get a small treble out of a 7 inch perch's mouth. For walleyes I like to exchange the trebles that come with the jigs to Daichi (sp?) trebles. These extremely sharp hooks on the back of the thumbnail are "sticky" and it seems like they go through the bone in the eye's mouth a lot easier. I use to lose a number of fish near the hole, but have not had that problem in the past 6 or 7 years.

My 2 cents. I only use HALI chain hook spoons. Single hook on a chain works great! Now that they have 3 replacement hook sizes available I can change up or down, depending what bait I want to add to it, small minnow or soft plastics. Sharp hooks, very easy to check your cholesterol...