• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winter tent camping

jigginjim

For winter camping you can go cold tent or hot tent. If you want to hot tent you need something like a canvas tent or similar with a stove or heater.

If you're thinking cold tent than you should look for something with a full coverage fly so you don't get any drafts, but you should have some mesh on top so that water vapor can vent out instead of sticking to the roof and dripping on you or "snowing" in the tent if it freezes. I would never ever use a heater of any kind in a nylon tent, I don't care how safe they say they are. If they tip over or you roll over you will have a bad day.

Always plan bigger, even more than summer. At least a roomy 3-man or 4person for sure. Big is nice, but too big means more cold air in the tent. Even though there is no heat, bodies will raise the temp in the tent enough to make it comfortable when you're getting dressed.

I've got REI dome tents in 2 man and 4 man. The 4 man has worked great for 3 people. We fit double pads, 3 bags and extra blankets. We keep packs outside since they aren't gonna be warm anyway.

Thanks, the last winter camping I had done was with the guard. A 10man tent, but most of time only had 5-6 guys. but those tents are heavy, and costly. It was always cold camping, even thou there was a heater, when evryone went to sleep the stove went out. Got up one morning, 1 of our guys had a radio, weather station in Little Falls said it was -27. those bunny boots were sure cold but your foot warmed up quick.

I've never winter camped in below zero before, but I plan on doing a BWCA winter camp this year. I hear Mrs. Claus is delivering snowshoes or X-country skis for me. I have to start building my pulk though.

I always pull the liners out of my boots at night so they stay warm and pliable. I loosen up the outers so when they freeze I can still get in them in the am. If the liners are damp I will place them under my feet but outside my bag. I usually have an extra blanket over my feet so it helps keep them from freezing.

My 4man dome is a 3-season backpacking tent. Only weighs 5lbs in the summer. Its handled light snow, but I might set up an a-frame over it if it looked like heavier snow was possible. I use a candle lantern in the tent too. It hangs form the center. It provides plenty of light and a 9hour candle will burn all night keeping the condensation from turning into frost.

Powerstroke, did you have any trouble with the shock cords in the REI tents? I bought one a few years ago, rated as a four season tent and my shock cords had no shock in them at ten below. I brought it back to them and bought a mountain hardware tent. Nice tent but I couldn't see using it for any climbing. Too much fiddling around to set it up. Not bad to do when you have some tipups out and are looking for something to do while the fish are ignoring your bait. Are you building a pulk? I bought a heavy duty tobaggon sled from Galyans or someplace like them few years ago. Drilled a couple holes along the edge for tying things down and I was done.

Trying to think, but my tent doesn't use any shock cords.

Shock cords are worthless in the cold. Most pulk designs try to avoid the use of shock cords in exchange for para cord and some hooks.

I'm thinking of doing the same idea for a pulk except I want to get some 1" PVC for connecting it to a ski-belt so that it doesn't run me over on hilly terrain and the rope can't get slack in it that way. Its less jarring on your body when you're pulling and it tracks straighter.

There is a company that makes and sells winter tents and stoves (canvas variety). I have not tried one but they look very nice.

There is a related Whitewoods Outfitters that rents packages. I am planning on renting a tent, stove, & sled this February. We'll see how it goes!

[Note from admin: Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

You could also build a quinzee, a bit more work than setting up a tent, but warmer. Works well if you're going to spend a few nights in one spot, not so well if you're moving around from night to night. There are places in both Ely and Duluth that rent lightweight cotton tents and woodstoves for winter camping.