• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

madison area ice

Mendota is pretty much good to go icewise.However , there are dangerous spots out there. Seems to be a common theme round these parts this year so far.
Contact D&S Bait out of Madison for what's going on bite wise. Those guys won't talk you !
You after Perch ? If so , LOTS of little ones this year so don't get your hopes up.

thanks for the replay Geeman. I was actually thinking I'd go for walleyes. Maybe northerns too, depending on when I get out there. (As long as the Wisconsin season's still open, I forgot to check.) I'd be up for panfish too, but I'm not a big fan of perch. I'm going to visit a couple buddies who go to school at the University down there, and was thinking I'd try some fishing too. I went to school there last year, but the ice was bad/nonexistant and I never got out. I caught a few pike from shore on Mendota though in the spring. (Also saw some BIG smallmouths on Monona)

Anyhow, turns out I'm actually going next weekend feb 8th (hopefully).

jw , Did you make it out there over the 8th ?
If you make it that way in the future you can get into some good gill action on the weedbed out from the student union. TINY jigs in chartruse have always produced for me there. There used to be a jig called a Bruces jig ( not made anymore ) that was just killer there. I'd think a chartruse Marmooska would work good there as well. I hav'nt fished there in years - no convenient parking - but there used to be a small university lot that was open on weekends we used to slink into that was'nt too bad a walk out.
Don't know much about the Walleye bite there other than Goverenors Island/Dunns Bar , Second Point and the weeds along Warner Bay. I talked to a DNR guy a couple years ago and he said they boom shocked walleyes over 30" on Second Point a few years ago. Tough lake to fish though.