• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fl-18 or LX3tc?

northernsportman

couple more questions... whats the difference between a lx3 and lx3tc? there is a used one thats a few years old. should i get that or not even worry about it and get a new one?

In addition to the 2 vs 3 colors, the new LX-3tc has 12 levels of IR and I think the old LX-3 had only 6.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I like to fish deep water in the winter I went with the 18 dual beam. So far the unit is great. only one season on it. I tend to be hard on equipment bouncing around to 10-12 locations a day and lots of holes so this stuff has to hold up. so far so good.

Quote:
would the LX3 be a good buy for someone like me who has never owned or used one before?...or could you recommend a better "starter" flasher

Yes, the LX-3 is super easy to use.

If price is an issue the cheaper marcum is also a good unit. and then after a few years when you are tired of you wife, kids, or friends borrowing it you can upgrade and keep the cheap for them to use. I think it goes on sale with rebates for around $200 sometimes, unlike posted earlier that is the most bang for your buck.

Both are good flashers and will help you catch fish better, but here's where the Vex might come up short.

Peak to Peak Power

FL18- 400 Watts

LX3tc- 2000 Watts

Target Seperation

FL18- 2.65"

LX3tc- 2.15" (1" in Zoom mode)

Adjustable Zoom

FL18- No

LX3tc- Yes

Both are good flashers and will help you catch fish better, but here's where the Vex might come up short.

Peak to Peak Power

FL18- 400 Watts

LX3tc- 2000 Watts

Target Seperation

FL18- 2.65"

LX3tc- 2.15" (1" in Zoom mode)

Adjustable Zoom

FL18- No

LX3tc- Yes

When you get down to the specs it becomes very clear....

i had some gills suspended like a foot off bottom, and then there was green in between, i dont believe there was any walleye down there but i dono. it was fine looking on the full screen side but on teh zoom side thats what i saw.... weeds? sorry i should have explained more.

If you watch the catfishing video DTro posted, one is using a Vex and the other a Marcum. You'll notice the guy catching most of the fish is using a Vex, ... LOL laugh

Actually ... in the hands of anyone that knows what there doing, both will get the job done. Personally a Vex guy, have had better luck with reliabilty of the FL-18 over the LX-3tc.

Having never owned a Marcum flasher (I do sell them though), and having owned an FL-18, I'll say I'd buy the 18 again, no question. What I mean is that I've never had any problems with it, and besides the adjustable zoom (which I do really like), I've never seen the need for so much more power, and the fact that the target rejection is down to hundreths of an inch kind of proves its own point, can you see that well on a machine with only a few inches of viewing space?

Now I'm not saying I have a problem with Marcum, I just felt like SOMEBODY should stick up for Vexilar, lol.

One more comment/quesiton that I tell all my customers, if you have friends who own Vexilars, they'll stop being your friends very quickly with the Marcum, lol! For some reason (is it the drastic difference in power? That's my question) Marcum loves to interfer with Vexilar, while my Vex's never done too much with a Marcum, and that's being run with LX-3s and LX-5s. Depending on the conditions, I've had problems sitting about 8-10 feet away in a permanent, and didn't even bother trying in a portable. So if you have buddies with a Vex, you'll be run out of the ice house very quickly, lol.

Personally I think next year I'm gonna try selling my FL-18 and upgrading to a Humminbird 55, unless Vexilar or Marcum make any drastic changes to their line up!

... One more comment/quesiton that I tell all my customers, if you have friends who own Vexilars, they'll stop being your friends very quickly with the Marcum, lol! For some reason (is it the drastic difference in power? That's my question) Marcum loves to interfer with Vexilar, ...

This has not been my experience fishing next to LX5 or LX3's. Many others have posted not issues as well. Have done a lot of fishing with both in the same shack with not problesm. May need to do some IR adjustments on one or the other.

I run my LX-5 next to Vexilar FL-8's, 12, 18's and 20's with no problems. I recently got a FL-18 for the wife and after using it to set my 2nd line with the other day rememberd why I sold my last 18 and got a LX-5. Current 18 has already been sold after owing it a week and will be ordering the wife ( well me) a new 2500 watt LX-5, she'll get my old one. After looking around at prices I think Perch Jerker has the beat deal going and will be placing the order soon.

I'm partial to the 5 but new you get warrenty. Tough choice.

Yea PP I turned on the 18 Saturday to set my deadstick and remembered one of the reasons I went to the LX in the first place. Hard to step down once you are used to the top. I'm sure the wife will like my old LX grin