• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Nymph

Uh-oh. I better get out the bird book--guess I can't tell the male from the female. Never thought about it. Now you have me curious. Everyone else does seem to scatter when they come, don't they? I have one trying to eat thistle and chips from a tube feeder. Hard on those little holes. Thanks for posting these.

In your photo he looks to be wearing safety shields. That got me thinking about nictitating membranes. I never really thought about it much but some birds have them. Not quite sure if that is what I am seeing there or not in the picture. Interesting.

This is a quote I found.

Woodpeckers tighten their nictitating membrane a millisecond prior to their beak impacting the trunk of a tree in order to prevent their eyes from leaving their sockets.

This is a quote I found.

Woodpeckers tighten their nictitating membrane a millisecond prior to their beak impacting the trunk of a tree in order to prevent their eyes from leaving their sockets.

Yikes! That sounds painful. Thanks for the research. That's interesting. I was disappointed that his eye was closed. However, since the background is really busy and distracting anyway, it was kind of fun to get a glimpse of more bird behavior.