• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Death Grip

I was wondering how many guys use the method of dispatching birds that we call the Death Grip? Had a young man from S.D. show us this a few years ago. You take the crippled bird and take whatever hand you have the strongest grip with and and reach around the back of the cripple and put your thumb and forefinger right where the bird's wings meet the body (wingpits?) and squeeeeze. Pretty soon the bird's eyes close, the head goes limp, the wings usually start to flap and a few more seconds it's lights out. You know they are dead because they will be totally limp. This works pretty slick and sure beats wringing necks or banging their head on a rock or fencepost or whatever. Works on doves, partridge,roosters, ducks. Bigger ducks are tough because they have more lung capacity. Usually only takes a minute or two of hard squeezing on a rooster to put him out. Nice and neat. Be careful with the wing flapping part if they have a broken wing close to the body so not to cut yourself with the broken wing bone.

Never heard of it, and will never do it. If what you say is true, "Usually only takes a minute or two of hard squeezing on a rooster to put him out," that's too long, and the bird is suffering/suffocating longer than it should. Breaking it's neck has to be faster in this case.

Did "ringing" the neck become politcally incorrect these days?

Guess I could see doing something like that on a mounter, otherwise it's about three swings and into the vest for me...

Why don't you guys just shoot them in the head? That way there dead as soon as the dog get's there and they don't get spurred while bringing them to your hand. Pretty simple in my opinion!! smirk (said with sarcasm!)

Pull on the head with one hand and pull the legs with the other hand. That is even quicker then twisting the neck and they dont flap. It breaks the neck really quick.

Great tip 2thepoint, this is the method I use for feisty ones.

i always just bite their head

Thats what I do too, superfast. My buddy used to have a dog that never retreived a live bird. Every bird had 4 holes in it from his teeth. It was a big lab, like 112# on the vets scale and this was late season. But I still was impressed when he put 4 holes into some canadas we shot one day.