• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"The Winter Redpoll"

jonny_redhorse

Hundreds??? Lucky you! Could you send some of them a little farther south? I have only had one in my yard so far this winter, and he didn't stay more than a day. I really like the second, but there is something about the color in the background of the last one that works for me.

lol!...that redpoll should be on the cover of Time magazine!....probably took a hundred captures of the little guy!.....Jay showed up at the site and also snapped a few.......amazing how tame and "trusting" they can get!....they know the difference between a human and a weasel for sure grin

Good looking shots Jonny. I wish that they would have been a little more cooperative today but I am sure the snow changed things. I did see a covey of sharptails in the trees feeding by Stickney and Arkola. Went down Blue Spruce road and saw a nice buck but no birds but the snow was a little heavy by then.

Thanks all!....just a great time being out with the cameras.....what a great way to spend a morning with a fresh hot cup of coffee! grin....I did manage to make a "quick" run down the Zim Road for an hour or so and south onto the Mcdavitt road in search of the great gray spotted earlier....nothing! cry....while down there ,I met 2 guys "David Alexander and Frank Nicoletti" who are taking"Wintering" studies of great grays,northern hawk owls and boreals for capturing ,banding.and other data in conjunction with the US Fish and Wildlife Service ...we had a good conversation and I"steered em" north to find that great gray north of Hibbing that I spotted Friday afternoon....Hope they found it grin...they cover an area up to Roseau and they said they are always on the road doing the "owl search"....They were really interested in the northern hawkowls and how many have been seen in the area.....Good to know that they are taking care of these unique birds!

Wow Jim!...Sharpies!....that area there has been known to harbor a few through the past years....actually that whole area has a few and can be spotted occasionally .....what? no pics! grin.......I'm also amazed that you stated there wasn't any birds down at the Blue Spruce Station.....guess they got their bellies full grin

Wow Jim!...Sharpies!....that area there has been known to harbor a few through the past years....actually that whole area has a few and can be spotted occasionally .....what? no pics! grin.......I'm also amazed that you stated there wasn't any birds down at the Blue Spruce Station.....guess they got their bellies full grin

They were very spooky and as soon as I rolled down the window they took off but the shots would have stunk because the snow was a little to heavy.

I hear ya Jim!...they are spooky for sure!....have run into the sharpies many times down in that same area and had em flush!.....When the sharpies start doing the "lek thing" in March,we'll get together for a couple of "shoots" in the fields down near Meadowlands...they will be doing "the dance" for a good month or so and they start a lot earlier then a lot of people realize....Last year I watched em dancing in a blinding snow squall and they never even seemed bothered...tough birds for sure!