• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey all:

We've settled on Nelson Lake for Saturday, Feb. 15. We'd started out with the idea of nearby Smith Lake, but you'll see on the closed "Smith Lake gathering" thread that Nelson will off a lot more options.

There are several public access points on Nelson, which is a long narrow lake, so I don't think we should pick one yet. Better to get a fishing report closer to the day, then pick the closest access to good fishing.

So far, Pig Sticka is the only one interested who can't make that date (I still think he ought to bring the gf - what a great way for her to see the real Sticka grin.gif).

Anyway, could everyone who is interested please sound off that you are coming or not. If someone else can't make the 15th, say so.

And Lundman, aka Stinger1600, you still out there? Nelson is one of the lakes you know well. Be nice if you could come and bring Lundman Jr., too. grin.gif

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-08-2003).]

well if you can garuntee a few fish maybe i can bring the little lady up smile.gif
cook her up a few fish when we get home. my dad is interested in going though. so maybe it will be alittle family thing headin up there. he out fishes me just about everytime. keep posting.

BD is right. The lake also is in the Fishing Connection maps book for NW Wisconsin, and there's a Fishing Hot Spots map, too.

I'll check with the bait shops and ask for local advice before we decide which landing to go off of.

Wouldn't want to have to lug that beer, um, bait, too far. grin.gif

Sticka, she'll love it!

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-09-2003).]

I would be interested in going. Where will people be fishing or where can we meet. I am new to this site and would like to put a face to the name. Has been nite bite on Eau Claire chain too if anyone interested afterwards.

KJ:

I've heard about that Eau Claire night bite. Been on Middle Eau Claire a couple times with bites into the night, but Upper is better, I hear, I just don't know the spots there.

As for Nelson, I'll post a meeting time and details closer to that weekend, when I've got a good sense of where the fish are biting so we can figure out which of the several landings to go off of.

------------------
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Sorry to say guys but I won't be able to make the gathering because my twin boys and there hockey team got tickets to the Minnesota Wild game on friday night and we will be staying over night down there.
hopefully we can get together some other weekend
Sorry frown.gif

Jar Jar

Hey all:

Soon as I'm back from the weekend FM.com gathering for lakers at Burntside near Ely, I'll start a thread here to get a roll call for the Nelson lake get-together a week from Saturday.

I'll call around for fishing reports and figure out where it's best to meet. There are several drive-on points at different sections of the lake.

Nelson is known for crappies, nice big pike and walleyes, and is mostly 15 feet deep or less, with a couple places near 18 feet in the old river channel and a 33-foot hole at the east end. There are cribs in lots of placed and sunken timber all over, too. A Fishing Hot Spots map shows you all this. And the lake is stained, with visibility only about 4 feet.

So a person could fish for crappies/walleyes/pike all day near cribs/timber, and maybe go a bit shallower off for an evening walleye bite.

Parking on shore near an access pont isn't really a problem, since we can all drive on. I'm thinking we'd have to pick which end of the lake we're going to go on. While there are accesses for east and west sides, I'm not sure if we want to drive trucks through the narrows to get from one end to the other.

Anyone know if this is safe, or if the current keeps the ice thin?

Meanwhile, while I'm planning to be off to laker land for the weekend, if anyone has specific suggestions about where they think the fishing is best lately on Nelson, sound off! grin.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
[email protected]