• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Info on which graph!!

CorynTracySellHomes

Question

Ordering a new boat and would be curios to get info on which graph to order!! Has anyone used the new Zercom? I am trying to decide between that one, or the Lorance X85, LMS350, or Bottom Line.... Any info would be appreciated!!

Cory Frantzick

------------------
Take a Virtual Home Tour at www.Hometown3.com!

12 answers to this question

I haven't used the Bottomline or the Zercom personaly, I do have the LMS-350 and X-85 in my boat. The X-85 has far better resolution with 240 vertical pixels than the LMS-350 with 200 pixels. If you need the GPS you can buy a stand alone GPS unit and the X-85 for the same or less than the LMS-350 with GPS.

I have heard that the Zercom Liquid Paper Graph is the way to go. I have had the chance to be in the same boat with one and they are one sweet unit!

------------------
Bluebill
Swan Lake Duck Crew
"let em' swing!"

Cory
Dennis summed it up perty good about the Lowrance units. Either one would be a good choice. But your final decision should be based on how you plan to utilize the given units performance. Depending on what type of fishing you do each unit when compared evenly can provide different results, dependant on the users input. If you fish often in water deeper than 25'. You need to have a unit that can zoom in quickly or run a split screen, in order to show good resolution. The zoom allows each pixel to display a smaller protion of the total range, and can often show detail that gets blended in with the bottom when you zoom back out. If you fish in areas that have a soft bottom, a higher power unit will give better readings. But make sure you read if a power rating is given in peak to peak or RMS, and compare evenly.
Try to find a dealer that has a good selection of OPERATING units on display and look at all models that you are interested in. Try to run thru all of the menue options and find out how easily YOU can find the different screens and adjustments. Sales persons will be able to work a unit and show you the basic operation, but they are not on the water with you after you buy it.
If you make a list with your expectations and basic features you feel you will need, then picture how you actually fish and under what conditions. It can narrow the field down a lot. Then sit back and think of how much you look at the screen when you are on the water. If you keep a careful eye on the unit, then one with a faster update rate is good. But if you only glance at it, a slower rate, wider screen, or unit with a screen recall (Pinpoint) might be better.
I know this is long winded but this is the time when lots of folks are looking at new electronics.
Rob

I went through the same thing late February. I had narrowed the field down to the Zercom, Vexilar and Lowrance. My fishing buddy uses Lowrance and really tried to steer me to it.
But having a mind of my own I decided to go with the Zercom. After having it on the water only 5 times, here's what I think now.
It's easy to use, the large dials that I was concerned about are really simple to use and the icons are easy to follow and read. It has one transducer with a dual beam so it gives you the ability to have the split screen with bottom lock, an extremely nice feature with out having to mount an additional transducer. I take my graph and gps off their mounts during travel, and hooking and un-hooking it is a snap. It has only one connection in the back for everything(spd,temp,transducer). Nice.
My only concern so far is that as you get in shallow water it starts to give funky readings. I noticed this sometimes even as deep as ten feet. As it does not do this all the time, there may be something I'm not picking up on that causes this, i.e. bottom composition, my bow mount flasher, nearby boats w/graphs going at the same time with a similar frequency, who knows, someone here might be able to help me with that. It also gives the same readings at high speeds 45+mph, but I'm guessing thats normal.
By the way, my Lowrance buddy - he likes it to... Good Luck!

Most of the time, if you start getting bad readings it is caused by incorrect transducer placement. With a wedge style trans try to keep the point within 1/8" of the bottom edge of the transom. And angle the back down at about 3 degrees. Sometimes small adjustment from this starting place can reduce most of the problems.
Rob

i have both the lms 350 and x85 on a 620 vs ranger. what i have found to be a problem is that the deeper water when the cones intersect, the 85 will start to transmit bad readings. i was told by lowrance this was because of the difference in power of the units and they are on the same frequency. what i have done to rectify the problem is purchased a rayhteon 470, which appears in every way to be an equivilent, and will see how the two work together. anyone else with this problem i would like to hear from. i do love the lowrance products and by themselves are hard to beat.

jeff

I've been watching this thread with interest because I'm trying to figure out what unit to buy. I bought a used boat that came with an X-45, which I don't like real well. I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I've been looking at my options. The X-85 w/water temp and speed is what I'd get under normal circumstances, but it's a little over of my current budget at $480.00. Cabela's has their exclusive LGC-2400 deal which is basically an X-75 with speed and temp for $350.00. Do I wait a year or more to get the X-85 or will I be happy enough with the other? I know this boils down to personal preference, but how much of a difference will the added X-85 power give me when I rarely fish in water over 40 feet deep? Will the lower RMS power hurt me on the mud flats of Mille Lacs? Can anyone push me in one direction? I'm sitting on the fence.

Thanks!

The LGC 2400 is not quite a match to the X-75. The 2400 is an Eagle Optima with a black screen, it lacks the dual frequency (192 & 50 Kz)and full screen backlight that the 75 has. This isn't to say that the 2400 isn't a good unit, it is. However, anytime you have a soft lake bottom condition, a higher power unit will perform better. But upgrading from the X-48 the LGC-2400 would be a big improvement.
Rob

Hey Hans, come on man he was looking for a comparison of units in the same price
range.Lets face it at a price of $650.00
that pinpoint 7520 is $300.00 more than
an X-85.For the money the X-85 is a very
good unit.I have fished with both units
and the pinpoint is real pretty, but if
your not catching any fish with an X85,
that pinpoint isn't going to change your
luck,only your bank balance.

Guideman.
e-mail [email protected]
or call 888-223-0588

------------------