• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

vest needed for cold weather?

Gadgetman

Gonna head out towards Marshall to a friends land this wknd. It is supposed to be in the teens with strong winds. Do you guys think that my lab that lives in a kennel outside needs a vest on for warmth while hunting or not? I am inclined to think not, just curious.

i wouldn't. your dog is use to the cold weather so it will have it's thick fur and some fat on it. when you put a vest on even in cold weather it can have a chance of over heating. just make sure you carry plenty of water. dogs can get dehydrated very easy in cold weather. and if your dog is eating snow. it can get dehydrated even faster.

if you have a skid plate vest i would put that on but NO neoprene vest.

good luck this weekend

He'll be fine. It's just like us...when we're out walking/exercising/etc. our bodies generate more than enough heat to keep us comfortable.

What may be more important is a dry warm kennel for when the day is done. Good luck out there.

No vest needed... I concur that they generate more than enough body heat running around while pheasant hunting. Seems guys who put vests on their dogs to make them comfortable, usually end up making them more uncomfortable with chaffed areas, overheating etc.

I also agree that a nice warm dry kennel is needed at the end of the day. A real thick layer of clean dry oat straw works great. I also bring a leaf bag with extra straw incase the stuff in the kennel gets wet. That seems to bounce them right back. All the body heat gets captured in the straw and they do not fight the cold... I also have an insulated kennel jacket around the crate.

Have fun out there. Make sure they get plenty to drink and increase the food intake by 25-30% for late season hunts.

Good Luck!

Ken

Something people sometimes forget when its cold is water...the dogs still need to stay hydrated while hunting in cold weather. Good luck, hopefully we get this snow they are talking about. Nothing like chasing roosters after a fresh 3 inches.

Good tip on the straw. I'll have to remember that. Works for heat retention for homes and farm animals, why not dogs?

I'm going to piggyback with another vest question.

I've got an 8 month old that will be spending a lot of time in my Otter tub while I ice fish. Since a body or two will be blocking the heat and she'd only have the plastic tub between her and the ice, should I get a vest for her? Or would you think its a waste of money since she'll probably outgrow it after this winter?

Da_chise, I duck hunt lots of cold weather conditions with my wet lab in a frozen aluminum boat. My dog seems uncomfortable on the metal so I use a carpeted door mat to keep her off the cold metal. I am guessing the same would apply in your ice drinking house. Spend $4 at Menards and you'll have a cozy pup.