• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hyfax 101! How To Install Hyfax On Your Flip Over Style Ice Shack!

Shack

Question

I figure I would share this with you guys and gals!

"> " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

If their is any interest, I will share further "how to" videos, like assembling as flip over shack and other things.

If their is no interest, I will not waste yours or my time grin

I know most know how to do this stuff, but I figure some out their have not done this and would like to know how.

Thanks! smile

Thanks again guys! smile

Quote:
Is this a process you can do while the canvas is on your sled?

Yes you can. I would use some saw horses or right on the ground. You might another person helping also. The weight of the sled with the cover on would be the only issue, but I think it will go almost just as simple.

Good luck!

I did my old shack with the canvas on. It definately makes it harder but still is not that big of a deal. One trick that I found helps quite a bit is to put that first bolt in at the front of the sled then use a heat gun to soften the hyfax at the bend. It lays right down and you don't have to fight it.

great vid! thats why i like this site. people always sharing info. work smarter not harder! i just put a frabill fortress together the other day. didnt even think about using a smaller drill bit to help hold bolt better. was a pain in the (_|_) trying to reach around inside/outside on the bend. thanks for sharing!

Good job Shack. Does anyone know where to get a set for the eskimo houses? If done a search and cant even find a part#.

boatfixer

Just like fishwater said, you can use Otter Hyfax if it will fit. You could look at how mine went on, measure yours and call down to T-bros and find out what size will be close to fit your eskimo.

Does the eskimo shacks have a molded area for Hyfax to fit into, or is it just a flat molded in runner under the sled? It should just bolt on and warp up on the front.

I am glad this video is helping people. smile

I just did mine Fri night, following the advice, and holy cow was it easy! I just laid my sled on my tailgate and the stairs going into cabin, so I didn't even have to bend over! Only for the first nut did I have to go "under" the sled.

I got up to cabin and found I didn't have hack saw, so how to cut the allen wrench... I did have a bolt cutter, so used that. Worked great, but if anybody does that tape it cause it flies like rocket when cut, ha!

Two drills would work best, one with the drill bit, the other with the allen wrench end to screw bolts in. Then flip the sled over and just use nut driver bit on drill, and you are done in no time. I think I did my magnum sled in just one beer! That was fast wink ha!

Quote:
Two drills would work best, one with the drill bit, the other with the allen wrench end to screw bolts in.

Yep, if you have a second drill this works best. I thought of it about a 1/4 way threw, but just the allen wrench was going good and I guess the basement seemed to far down to walk and get a second drill when I was in the grove grin

Some of those cheap drill bit sets with all the different sized Phillips, square and socket bits might have an 1/8" allen bit in them. Then you would just have just chuck up the extension and pop in the allen nit.

Good to hear it went good and easy for ya Box smile

I've been thinking of adding the hyfax to my Yukon but I'm not real excited about drilling a bunch of holes in the bottom of the sled. Alot of times when fishing, there is standing water on the ice. I don't want the sled to leak and get everything inside wet. Do you recommend caulking the holes or is leakage not an isse?

Yep, the next one is in the works grin If life slows down a little for me, it should be up this weekend. smile

As for the holes leaking water, I just do not see it, especially if you use the smaller bit. Every thing is so tight, washers on both sides, bolt threaded into plastic, nut tightened, I seen no reason to put silicone any where.

I put the hyfax on the new otter last night. You're tip on using the 5/32" drill worked great. I remember putting it on my first one and struggled a little (mostly from lack of experience!!!).

The other thing I did last night is used a heat gun to really warm up the area that bends. It made a really nice tight fit and almost laid flat without installing the second screw.

I'm looking forward to getting the Cottage out tomorrow to break it in at the first ice event in Duluth!!

Excellent post/video Shack!

I struggled a bit installing my hyfax this AM on my small tub. First of all the washers are too big for the holes and the pounding it takes to get them seated into their place can't be good for the hyfax or the sled. The other issue I had was the last set of holes didn't fit within the runner as I worked my way down the ski (and yes I did have the farthest hole forward on the hyfax to the front of the sled). I tried to manufacture new holes across the back line of the hyfax, but doing the countersunk holes is a nightmare because of how aggresssive this material is to drill. My end result is that I have a bent sled bottom, extra holes in both my hyfax and tub and a frustrated experience. I am going to call Monday and share my experiece with Otter. I need to go fishing to relieve some stress. AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Thanks for posting the great video. With most projects like this the hardest part is getting the confidence to start.

The instructions made it seem as easy as it really was. Thanks again for putting this together.

Note: This was my first hyfax install, and do the nuts self tighten or do I need a buddy on the other side holding the allen wrench? Not all of them tightened up as I thought they should.

I tell ya what, with an 1/8" drill bit and a power drill and socket, you can whip this out in about 15 min.

Drill holes, Drive screws/washers....flip over and secure nuts. As long as you don't go overboard with the torque on either side, you are golden.

I recently read a tutorial on doing this with duct tape, ratchet, and manual nut driver which of course will work, but man that's a lot of ratcheting, and I'm a little like Tim Allen when it comes to this stuff. POWER grin