• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster or Jiffy?

FasterThanYou23

I have been running Jiffy's for about 15 years and never had to deal with their customer service. Their products have treated me extremely well. I finally switched to a 2hp STX Pro from my 3hp Stealth just to lose that extra weight. I really like the STX cutting system with the chipper. That is the main reason that I chose to stay with Jiffy. In my experience, Strikemasters are a lot faster of the two right out of the box, but I have been on too many trips when a Lazer's blade was chipped and we had to literally lay on the thing to get through the ice. Other than the cutting systems, I don't see a lot of difference between the two besides the Jiffys weighing a little more.

Originally Posted By: Caleb S
The 4 stroke would be nice but if you haven't already, I would read some of the posts regarding quite a few reports of broken augers on the Strike Lite.

I've heard of a couple folks who have had a broken auger, and everytime they say customer service was spectacular and a new auger was shipped to them free of charge and in a hurry.

If I paid that kind of money for an auger and it broke right away I wouldn't be asking for a new auger. I'd ship the whole thing to them and tell them not to send me anthing other than my money I paid for it. Great service is one thing but that doesn't do you much good when you are out on the lake trying to fish and your auger breaks.

the lazer mag express is a real nice auger...lightweight and it cuts real fast and easy...had mine for like 5 years when i was the only guy out of all my friends to have an auger...that thing took a beating and drilled tons of holes....started every single time i ever took it out in a couple pulls..sold it to a buddy and he's still rippin with it and probably will for many more years.

i have a couple friends with jiffy's and they are a good dependable auger..they are more bulky and heavy though..which doesn't matter much if it's just going from your truck to your shack to drill some holes...they work running and gunning to but are noticably more heavy after awhile.

i decided to take the money i got from him for my auger and get a nils...haven't tried it out yet though...haven't ever seen one used or used one myself..just it sitting here in front of me i like the design and how tall it is...i'll have to see how it cuts and its dependability.

I owned a Jiffy for close to 20 years and it never ever needed customer service. It always ran and with the chipper blade I could sharpen it with a flat file. I made sure to tune it up when the weather was cold so it ran great in the weather it was going to be out in. The last thing I would want is to hear about great customer service when you spent a lot of money on gas ,bait ,food and lodging and your auger will not run or breaks down so now you have to go bug someone to drill you a couple of holes. I really hate plastic parts when used to save weight when it will be abused riding in my Otter sled when you have to travel 5 to 6 miles across rough ice.

P.S. Sold my Jiffy only to get a Nils simply because of the weight and it is all steel.

I have been useing my Mag 3 for roughly 20 years. I have never had to use CS and every year I pull it out of the shed fill with gas by the 3rd pull its running. I use non oxy gas and dont seem to have the issues other folks have.

Key Points for buying a SM:

1. Keep your Money in Minnesota

2. Keep a Minnesotan working

3. Blades are easy to find

4. Keep a Minnesotan working. smile

5. They work!

You might hear about SM breaking a lot because they are the most common auger (speaking gernally and from what I've seen personally) on the ice right now. And I'm sure a lot of guys could agree with my, they aren't that easy on their auger sometimes. Things break, and I'm glad SM has a great crew to stand behind their gear.

I have an Sm lazer 224 and love it fast, light and great on gas, drill tons of holes without ever getting a sore back. thanks to the 4 shaver blades on the auger I can join holes with eas. if your going to be redrilling old holes in a permy I would advice not using a chipper blade " they tend to walk like a dull drill bit" so get a shaver style blade for that situation. have never had to use the CS but I have only heard great things from them.

do yourself a favor

Help a local business

save your back

help a local business

save your back

buy a SM

I bought a used Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express and absolutely love it. I have never seen an auger eat ice so fast. 20 inches of ice in no time at all. Pretty lightweight also. Didn't run stabil or anything in the tank after last year and it fired right up. My buddy used to have a Jiffy that we used for several years and that was a good auger too. Like everyone else says, its about personal preference.

Well here is my 2 cents. They said that it cuts 41 inches of ice in about 12 seconds. I didn't believe it. I tried it. They were telling the truth. Fastest auger on ice, converts into a hand auger, interchangeable shafts with same power head, real auger extension, not just a piece of pipe. Industrial grade power head. Need I say more. One Happy NILS Owner!

I bought an Eskimo Shark when I moved back from FL a few years ago. My little Bro had an Eskimo Baricuda for 8 years and loved it. I lasted Jan -March and the thing fell apart. Cabelas returned it + cash for a strikemaster lite and I have never had an issue. Start it a few times a summmer much to the delight of my 3 year old. Will be out Sunday!!

You might hear about SM breaking a lot because they are the most common auger (speaking gernally and from what I've seen personally) on the ice right now. And I'm sure a lot of guys could agree with my, they aren't that easy on their auger sometimes. Things break, and I'm glad SM has a great crew to stand behind their gear.

Great point now that you mention it you do see way more SM on the ice than anything else.

The Strikelight has been on the market for 4 years and they do have the bugs worked out. I have personally been to there factory in Big Lake and they are the nicest people. When you think of Customer service you think of 50 desks with people who's only job is to answer phones and answer questions. SM customer service is two phones and when the guy isn't on the phone he is working the line. It is truly a local friendly business with great appreciation for us and they stand behind there product 100%. I'm not on commission and don't receive anything for giving props to SM, I just really love my auger and was truly amazed at how friendly the folks at the factor where.

Never had it happen to me and I've popped holes in -10 weather.

Actually now that I think of it, yeah it did happen once, and I soon figured out a solution. Once you drilled your hole and pulled it out, open the throttle and give the blades a couple revolution kicking off all slush and water..problem solved.