• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a new boat looking for help

hawgeye

hi,

I am buying a 2004 2025 with a 225 horse Evinrude HO. I had the compression tested and the hours determined on the motor. The compression came back at 110 psi on all cylinders. Does anyone know if this is good or where I can find out if it is? the housr were very low, but there was an engine fault where the overheat switch closed and teh engine temp went above expected range. I was told the water pump was clogged and the motor was turned off immediately. this fault only happened once. any thoughts? I am super nervous about buying a used boat. thanks

Dave

110psi is very typical in cold weather when the motor is not warmed up. The compression will come up during the summer months at operating temps. If your still concerned, inquire about a leakdown test which will show a more accurate reading. That is a great outboard, but I know a few people that say they have weak lower units. Do you have the option of purchasing or transferring an extended warranty?

I agree with the above sentiments... on the compression test you want the readings to be within 10% of each other, so I'd say you're just fine.

If you do pursue the leak down test (which is a bit more accurate indicator of engine condition), you want all the readings to be less than 10%.

I think you'll be ok with this rig. I have heard mamohr686's comments about the lower unit a little bit, but not a whole lot.

marine_man

Thanks for the information. After posting on this site and the duluth forum, I decided not to buy that motor. Sounds like there has been some issues with the injectors not firing fast enough at over 6000 rpms. thanks again

dave