• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trying to justify a GPS unit

Caleb S

I have been thinking about buying a GPS unit for quite some time but have been unable to pull the trigger. I usually fish a few select lakes, already have my favorite spots etc...

Maybe I would end up venturing to new lakes/spots if I bought the GPS? I love electronics but am afraid it would either be left at home or be brought to the lake just for the sake of having it with, since I already know where I am going on the lake.

Pull the trigger! I added GPS to my boat this last season and I'm using the same unit on the ice. Each time I go out I tell myself to try another new spot or two that I haven't fished before.....doing this over the past season has taught me so much more about the lakes that I already thought I knew about. I ventured further to more lakes that looked curious on my chip or a map. During the late fall, I was able to mark a load of spots that were holding fish and will use those coordinates for my first dozen times out. You really don't know what your missing until you buy one. wink

Any time you're fishing new water, especially on lakes with high-definition maps, a gps is invaluable. Even on lakes you know, the map chip is likely to show you things you didn't know were there. And on larger lakes where it's difficult to use shoreline landmaks to get to your spot, the gps will bring you back to the exact spot time after time.

There's lots of other nice features to gps and map chips too, road maps and other info like boat accesses. For most people, after they get a gps they wonder how they went so long without one.

You can see the H2Oc and several other popular models for ice fishing HERE

I pulled the trigger this year for me and got the Lowrance H2OC and have used it for open water fishing as well as ice fishing. The great thing about it as mentioned before is it takes you to the very spot you want to fish without the guess work.

Quote:
Trying to justify a GPS unit

I went grouse hunting 7 yrs ago in a state forest.

Got turned around following my dog.

6hrs later in the dark, I finally hit a road 4 miles from where I parked.

Had a GPS a week later - purchase JUSTIFIED.

Oh, and yes - I use mine all the time for fishing too. wink

I have been thinking about buying a GPS unit for quite some time but have been unable to pull the trigger. I usually fish a few select lakes, already have my favorite spots etc...

Maybe I would end up venturing to new lakes/spots if I bought the GPS? I love electronics but am afraid it would either be left at home or be brought to the lake just for the sake of having it with, since I already know where I am going on the lake.

If you don't see yourself venturing onto new lakes (soft or hard) and are happy with the spots you have, I'd say pass on it. BUT if you want to be more adventurous, explore new lakes, and perhaps find other spots on the lakes you already go to, I'd say get one. Another thing to consider is if the lakes you are interested in exploring or go to now have maps featured on the Nav or LM chips...

A color unit is great, but I couldn't justify (read: didn't have the cash) the extra $$$ for color. I am very happy with the H2O monochrome and LM chip. It has changed the way I approach fishing.

Todd's Top 5 Ice Fishing Bits:

1. auger

2. rod/reel/tackle

3. sonar gadgetry

4. GPS c/chip

5. shelter

I use a little Garmin every trip. The problem is never the GPS, problem is the lake maps are not always perfect. But it gets me in a general location.

Although the one exception is the map of Mille Lacs at the MinDNR site, that map is hyper accurate.

How is a shelter #5???? When its 5 degrees outside what would you do freeze? Otherwise your list is spot on with what you need

I'd rather freeze than not be able to drill a hole

I'd rather freeze than not be able to fish

I'd rather freeze than not be able to tell if there is fish below me

I'd rather freeze than not be able to identify and locate a "killer spot" or even a "good spot"

After all these things are taken care of, I'll look for shelter.

(granted my list runs counter to Maslow's list and survival training, but I'm a fat fella with warm clothes. Point being, a GPS is that important.)

I use a little Garmin every trip. The problem is never the GPS, problem is the lake maps are not always perfect. But it gets me in a general location.

Although the one exception is the map of Mille Lacs at the MinDNR site, that map is hyper accurate.

Mojo have you looked at the LakeMaster MN chip for the Garmin units yet? All the LakeMaster high detail is offered in Garmin format now. This is the best detail available for MN. It is now out in the new Dakota's edition, with high detail ND/SD maps in Garmin also.

I use a Garmin Rhino 530 HCX, I have the Inland Lakes new version of Garmin software, and that is OK... the detail is very high on these data cards offered by LakeMaster.

lf-lg.jpg

The Garmin Rhino 530 HCX is a sportsman's tool for sure, you get highly accurate GPS, FRS/GMRS radio communication 5 watts of transmit power (GMRS), which lets you contact others from up to 14 miles away, weather alert, barometric pressure readings, mapping and street maps, and about 15 other nifty features to fiddle with encluding fishing times and solar tables.

The Rhino FRS/GMRS radio/GPS system is unique in that you can track up to 50 other Rhino users at once, and they can track you if you wish, and share a way point or a whole trip with a push of a button..so if your lost others can easily locate you and track to you, or you to them. A great unit and it has a $80 rebate on it right now too, making it a even better deal.

There are tons of extra data packets on micro SD or disk one can add on to this unit too, as in the LakeMaster chips...this unit utilizes the Micro SD cards and can also interface with your computer with the MapSource mapping software provided with the unit. A well rounded system with a fast charging lithium ion rechargeable battery pack to keep you up and running in the field. If you shopping for a sportsman's GPS unit, this unit is well worth a look.