• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile Training CD ROM Question

Scott Stein

so last Dec my g/f took the snowmobile training on the computer and completed it sent it to the DNR and got her card in the mail. This past wknd her younger sister took the class at the local Conservation Club and the instructor told her dad that my g/f is not legal yet because she hasnt taken a driving test? im guessing he was wrong,but maybe i am,she was 18 when she took the test and the DNR wouldnt have sent her the certificate if she had to take a driving test right??

That's the first I've ever hear about a driving test.

I did the CD rom deal at home. Printed off 2 certificates, sent one to the DNR and kept one in my sled. The next time I renewed my drivers license I had the "snowmobile certification" on it.

This was all done about 3 years ago, maybe it has changed since.

never heard that before could be a new law. i did not know you had to a driver lic to drive a snowmoblie. why would they make kids sleds then for MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. i guessing the dnr officer is wrong. if a were you i would look into the laws.

I don't know, my son took the class which is followed by a driving exam. There where guys and gals in the class in their 20's and they had to take the driving exam too.

My daughter just got done with the CD and will be taking the class this week and again a driving exam.

Maybe the CD option is only required if your over a certain age and the older kids in the class had a violation so the class was mandatory?

Either way I know you'll learn way more in the class over the CD.

Adult Certification

Requirements

Ages 16 and older are eligible for certification.

Certification required by law for anyone born after December 31, 1976.

Must complete and pass an Independent Study Snowmobile CD, or a Youth Snowmobile Certification class.

If snowmobiles are like the ATV course, anyone under the age of 16 must complete the CD-ROM and the riding component. Over the age of 16, they only need to complete the CD-ROM and mail the results into the DNR.

I don't do the Snowmobile safety training so I'm not 100% certain on that. Based on the text I posted above from the DNR site, 16 and older have the option of completing just the CD-ROM, or taking the full blown youth course that would include the riding component.

If you're located in Courtland, you can contact Chris Howe, Bob Geving, or Corey Wiebusch. Their numbers can either be found on the DNR site or you can contact the MN State Patrol at 507-389-1172 and they'll have either Chris, Corey or Bob contact you.

from the DNR site

Adult Certification

Requirements

Ages 16 and older are eligible for certification.

Certification required by law for anyone born after December 31, 1976.

Must complete and pass an Independent Study Snowmobile CD, or a Youth Snowmobile Certification class.

Youth Certification

Requirements

Youth ages 11 -15 are eligible to complete the course. Certification becomes valid at age 12.

Must attend and pass a youth snowmobile safety certification class.

General Information

The youth snowmobile safety training class is an introductory class of approximately 12 hours, designed primarily for the snowmobile rider with little or no experience in snowmobile operation. The course includes a hands-on operating field day.

For general information on snowmobile safety training call (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157.

My guess is if an adult 16 or older takes the youth class you'll do the hands on test but are not required to if doing the CD version.