• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

December Bucks?

I don't like to go by track size. Thats just me. But but I do like going by the whole draging of the hoofs. Mature bucks tend to drag there hoofs. It is most noticable in 4 inches or deeper snow. We are getting closer to that point.

Most all deer will drag their hooves to some degree in deep snow, especially of that deeper than 8." If the snow if 6" or less, it could be a good indicator of a buck but not always. Does tend to meander more as well. I'll usually focus on that rather than size or drag marks. It sounds like we're actually going to get some of the white stuff this weekend. That should help get some tags punched.

Now that most of the corn is gone i thought i'd take a cruise and look for December deer last night, all I could muster in a picked cornfield was seeing a doe and 2 fawns. frown Took off at about 4:00 till darkness. Went by some very secluded areas, didn't see many musket guys out. These December bucks seem very wary. Might be a little bit cool tomorrow morning ! I have seen very few morning deer during musket season, I usually sit an hour and look for possible night time set ups after that. Anyone having any success Muzzy hunting ?

Mornings are usually the slowest during cold weather, at least from my personal experience, even mid day can be better once it gets really really cold...they need to take in alot of calories to generate enough body heat to survive. Evenings I think are hands down the best during late season.

Last weekend 4 guys didn't see a deer during the morning, evenings we all had opps to shoot one, one down, two misses.. confused and I passed on two does, they were on thier feet. Bucks I think are still nocturnal where we hunt, but the secondary rut should hit this weekend, getting them up and out in the fields pre-darkness....follow the does.