• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV and portable house in truck bed?

olympiccop2002

I haven't tried it yet but how do you guys fit an ATV and a portable ice house in a 6 foot full sized truck bed? Do you attach tie downs around the portable and let it sit on the tailgate? I'm trying to find the most secure way of doing this. Pics would be awesome also. Thanks.

Bjorn

I too will be doin this for the first time. Finally got a wheeler, so now i gotta fit everything in the truck. My portable is the suitcase style so it folds up to about 4'x5'x8". Was thinkin, put the house in, then the wheeler on top (wheeler only weighs 326 lbs) Have not attemted this yet,but its the only way it will work with the equip. i have. Hope it all fits. and good luck to you. What kind of house do you have?

I too will be doin this for the first time. Finally got a wheeler, so now i gotta fit everything in the truck. My portable is the suitcase style so it folds up to about 4'x5'x8". Was thinkin, put the house in, then the wheeler on top (wheeler only weighs 326 lbs) Have not attemted this yet,but its the only way it will work with the equip. i have. Hope it all fits. and good luck to you. What kind of house do you have?

For that size I would put it up against the cab in the front of the box, and then put the wheeler in. Just may have to leave the tailgate open.

Besides that, a trailer is the best option. Get one that you can tow behind the wheeler, then you can take it with you and have easier parking if you can't drive out.

Purchase a 2 place aluminum trailer.

I would love to do that but the atv was already a stretch with the War Department! Any other ideas? I'm all ears!

It's a Polaris Sportsman 500 with a Eskimo Quick Flip II which has to fit in the bed of a Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Shortbed... I should be all set after figuring out how to make it all fit!

you can also look for a small cheap utilty trailer....a buddy of mine bought a ford escape and going from a truck to that he needed a trailer....he got a steel 2 place snowmobile trailer for 25 bucks ...and the thing has new tires!! we use our trailer to haul the wheeler to lake and then hook trailer on atv and pull on lake w/ all the stuff on it....

i do it all the time i have a 2008 1/2ton crew cab .put the wheeler in but try to keep it to 1 side.then slide your portable in and put it on its side it should fit.

Originally Posted By: SomethingFishy
Purchase a 2 place aluminum trailer.

I would love to do that but the atv was already a stretch with the War Department! Any other ideas? I'm all ears!

It's a Polaris Sportsman 500 with a Eskimo Quick Flip II which has to fit in the bed of a Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Shortbed... I should be all set after figuring out how to make it all fit!

War Department = Wife Administering Restrictions Department. You have one of those too?

Look around on the web or maybe at the ice show several companies are making a hitch hauler for the shack. Drive the atv up the ramps and strap the shack on the hitch hauler, might not be as convienent as a trailer but definetly cheaper up front and cheaper on fuel for those long runs.

I use to have a suitcase style and I would put that up against the cab which would fit perfectly. Try to have the hinged side up because if the fabric comes out the wind will slowly fray it. After I have the house up against the cab I took a 2x4 and mad a bracket so it would fit between the house and the wheeler while locking it in place by doing a L bracket into the front of the bed where the holes are in the box rail. I would pull the wheeler right upto it and it would give a little protection to the house.

You could strap the portable to the atv in the bed of the pick up. Of course this would be a two person task to lift it that high.

When I worked and fish every day I would strap the portable to the atv on the utility trailer which was just big enough to hold the atv. With two large binders like the big haulers use it never came loose. Several trips to LOW and URL. Could've been a little overkill but it worked.

The idea of the fish house in the front would work too but I don't know about you guys but all my trucks have bent box's behind the cab from loading the 700 and 800. If the atv could bend your box think of what it could do to your portable?

Another nice thing about a small cheap utility trailer is you can get life time plates for them.

C Cord... That is a great idea. How do you like your Suzuki King Quad? I just purchased mine last year and it has been a great asset to our ice fishing artillary as well as my farming operation. For ice fishing though I and moparmarv usually hook on to my 16 foot car trailer. Mopar carries his frabil ice shack on the back of his truck and I load the quad and my two man clam onto the trailer. Between the two of us we start with one shack and if we want to explore I hook onto my clam and do some searching for new areas. The addition of the quad was a life saver for us. We tried fishing two years ago with out it and our aging bodies told us that we can not pull the shacks around on the ice and snow like we used to... lol

Anyway do you load your quad with ramps onto this rack? Thanks for sharing...

last friday we went out fishing and in the bed of my buddies chevy truck we had my atv and my buddies eskimo 2 man fish house. i was using my hawkeye 300 and we just pushed the atv all the way to the left of the bed and slipped thefish house in between the right side of the atv and the sideof the bed. it was a tight fit but it worked. it wouldnt hurt to bungee it down after you put it in. i guess doing that would not work if you had a bigger atv or a bigger ice house but if you have the same sized gear that should work.