• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Reel For new rod?

Far-I

I was looking for peoples opinions again. I just got an HT 38in (i think) heavy action rod. I was hoping to get some big lakers this year. what kind of reel should i put on it? Thanks I always look forward to the good advice i get on here smile

An Abu Garcia Cardinal 101 with Fireline Crystal on it would be a good choice. You can usually pick up one of these reels right around $20. It is a great reel and the price it decent. You can use the reel on a open-water rod after the ice fishing season.

I have one of these reels on a 32" St. Croix Premier Ice rod and I caught a few decent lakers with it last year. The drag was smooth with the bigger fish I hooked which kept the fish on the hook during frenzy that followed. Here is a 27" that I caught on it last year, the combo brought it in like a champ grin:

burntsidelakerrszqi2.jpg