• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anybody ice fish Polk County?

I used to fish Beartrap once in a while-- a sliver of deeper water along the north side I think. We fished crappies, which were nice sized. I did catch a bonus 4lb walleye-- pannie rod w/ 4lb test. What a blast that was!! Big Butternut is good for crappies and walleyes also. One year I drove around Big Round early ice, to see what was going on,-- lots of people sitting in their cars watching tips. I've never seen so many tipups ringing a lake before.

i fish pike and north twin on occasion,usually good crappie action,both have some walleys in there if you can find them,northerns had been plentyful but small
try the northshoreline on north twin with
tips just out from the access or just around the point from the access on pike...
good luck,lets us know how its going...

Hello Folks,

I was on Big Round on Sat. for a couple of hours at dusk. I took my 4 yr old with me and she caught her first walleye jigging. Had to let it go, it was only about 10" long. Caught a few bluegills, and my buddy picked up a couple of nice pike and a bass on tip-ups. There was a solid 5" of ice to my disbelief. Big butternut has its regular onslaught of perch pounders in the bay by the school. I can't wait until there is enough ice to pull the fish house to the north side for some crappies.

Good Luck!

------------------
Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
[email protected]

i know the perch were really wormy up there all fall, i fished it a couple times. they do run alright with some nice ones, but most were heavily spotted. i heard the indians haven't speared that lake in a while so the fishery is doing better.

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the confusion. By perch pounders I meant fisherman pounding perch, not pound sized perch! There is a great fishery here though, and you're right the lake hasn't been speared in a few years now.

I think another big help has been all the fishing! The used to be (5-6yrs ago) a ton of 5-6" crappies and similar sized perch. Last winter I would say the average crappie was an honest 7-8" and the roaming perch schools were the same. Some of the perch run up to 10-11" for the dedicated hunters. I've heard guys talking about 12-14" fish but I fish Big Butternut quite a bit and I think those fish hit the stretching board before they were done. Hope this helps.

If anyone wants to head out and try it, let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction in exchange for an accurate report afterwards. Just drop me an eail and Let me know.

Good Luck,

------------------
Jeff Phelan
Fish On LLC
[email protected]

actually we got a few of the 12 inchers in the fall out on bbn. none bigger than that but there were some nice perch. didn't keep em cuz they were wormy. how is the ice out there so far?

------------------
Good luck sticking pigs this year!

Was on Long Lake on Thursday. Had about 6 flags loosing some bait but not icing any. Finally about 4:00 the gils starting coming in and couldn't get the bait down quick enough. Ice was 7 in. all the way accross but one of the locals said the south end had a swoth of open water on monday so we didn't go down there.

[This message has been edited by #Boater# (edited 12-07-2002).]

Until I moved late September, I fished every chance on Polk County Lakes...and some Burnett too.

Long Lake was always my favorite..if you know where to go. Living in Dresser, I could zip up there after work etc.

I got a call that the gills and crappies were biting good on Trade Lake (by Atlas). I personally think the fish have too many black spots for me. Last year we did excellent on tBig Trade. Stopped there Wednesday and was the only one on the lake except for a shack on the far West end. About 5 inches of ice but not much cooperation from the fish.
A friend of mine from Hudson called tonite and said he did well on Balsam (in the stumps on the East side); well not in the stumps but in that bay. Balsam has nice fish, but its typical fishing, sometimes they bite...sometimes they dont. He also tried Loveless but said the ice was only 4 inches and sometimes 3 inches so his mobility was limited. Nice perch when you find em!! Gills are decent and so are the crappies.

Good fishin!!